More rules and regulations for our enjoyment

I presume all these quotes came from the Daily Mail?

And would also presume that you would be happy to leave a small child, surrounded by it's rubber dummy, but also surrounded by balloons, which the child might find easier to chew on and ingest?

You can tell the people who dont have children from this statement.

Sponsored Links
Nah Micky, these quotes come direct from Europe mate.
No, they come from the Daily Telegraph.

The Daily Telegraph said:
Official guidance notes: "For latex balloons there must be a warning that children under eight years must be supervised and broken balloons should be discarded."

Do you know the difference between "guidance", a "warning," a "ban," and a "law?"

Or are you stupid?

joinerjohn said:
When I was a kid, we'd climb trees, play outside, play with kites, balloons, heavy real leather footballs, play on the street, go fishing etc.

Maybe you had a toy gun as well. I don't think there was a boy in our street who didn't. And they had caps - yes, actual explosives - that made a nice loud bang. :eek: :eek: :eek: Toy swords were also popular, probably because we'd all read Peter Pan, and girls had them too.

That was the fifties and sixties. A decade later there was a big argument about Adventure Ken and his toy knife. "That's not a weapon, it's a tool. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:" Fair comment or not? Are today's kids better off without toy weapons? I think I'll start a poll on it. :idea: :idea: :idea:

The article also stated the following:

"As well as new rules for balloons and party whistles, the EU legislation will impose restrictions on how noisy toys, including rattles or musical instruments, are allowed to be.
And this is a bad thing because?

Limiting the noise a toy makes to within a set standard makes sense, as kids' hearing is more suseptable to damage. And I've never met a parent who welcomes their kids to make excessive noise anyway, so limiting it would benefit the parent.

Sponsored Links
... Our parents quite literally told us to be in by a certain time and didn't worry unduly about us. We'd come home with cuts, bruises and even occasionally a broken limb. ...:

Well, it wasn't as easy to file a lawsuit back then.

Ricardus said:
Well, it wasn't as easy to file a lawsuit back then.

And so Ricardus hits the nail squarely on the head. :!: :!: :!:

joinerjohn said:
I now can't use a ladder until I have undergone a "Ladder Training "course.

That'll date back to the time that a council employee fell off a ladder and sued the council, successfully, on the grounds that he hadn't been trained to use it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

It's easy to point the finger at solicitors who offer 'no win no fee' but I think that's the wrong approach. Ordinary people now have access to civil law in a way that they never really did before - and that's a good thing. :cool: :cool: :cool: The answer lies with judges. They are the ones in a position to apply common sense and throw out ludicrous claims. :idea: :idea: :idea:

It's easy to point the finger at solicitors who offer 'no win no fee' but I think that's the wrong approach. Ordinary people now have access to civil law in a way that they never really did before - and that's a good thing. :cool: :cool: :cool: The answer lies with judges. They are the ones in a position to apply common sense and throw out ludicrous claims. :idea: :idea: :idea:[/quote]

The truth is that most stupid claims ARE thrown out!

The problem is that even minor, but justifiable claims seem to get a large ward, and the cost of claiming is always high. It is the fear of litigation that has caused so many "H&S" cancellation of events, rather than any actual ban.

But, anyway, I wouldn't climb a 30ft ladder to change a bulb, and I certainly wouldn't leave a small kid with balloons.

The headline talks of a ban on kids and balloons, but it is actually a question of suoervision.

I never believe a word in the press, without independant verification.

Funnily enough one of the biggest causes of choking amongst children is grapes...

How many are aware they should chop them in half for youngsters?

So are there any warnings about this?... :rolleyes:

Funnily enough one of the biggest causes of choking amongst children is grapes...

How many are aware they should chop them in half for youngsters?

So are there any warnings about this?... :rolleyes:

Thank you for that ellal.... I was going to say exactly that myself......my grandson loves them and although each grape does not carry an individual warning....guess what....I cut them up.....its called common sense.....something for which we are apparently given no credit whatsoever.

I wonder if and potential terrorists could claim that CCTV is an infringement of their privacy :confused:

Also, one presumes that Jesus would not have been able to be lifted unto heaven without appropriate scaffolding, PPE equipment and a full RIDDOR regarding the nature of his initial terminal injuries on that crucifix.

That post is completely valid, as to the Big Brother environment that we are now in.

If a terrorist were able to access cctv, from one of these places, ie a bank. Then how is it illegal to take a photograph, in the same place? So CCTV is a far higher security risk, than a person taking a picture.

A picture is a snapshot in time, localised on a subject. CCTV runs all the time. I know for a fact that most major shopping centres have ANPR, constant CCTV coverage, and contrary to what is show on Crimewatch, excellent CCTV, with zoom, so if the CCTV was obtained, far outweights a photo.

So contrary, a photo being a security issue, CCTV certainly is, and I think people should lobby regarding this, if the posts get to a certain level, then it is discussed in Parliament...too many people say there is too much CCTV...this proves it...how to start a campaign?

How many grainy images on Crimewatch have led to a conviction? CCTV is better than what they show. It's 1984. And they have control over us. Too much CCTV, much of bad quality.

I'll lobby the MP in question if needsbe. Just tell me who is he is.

Scaremongering whilst talking out of your hole again moody.

Worried about the footage they have on you at the dole office?
We'll exclude the job centre as you probably avoid the place.

We've just finished a repointing job on an old mill chimney. It's possibly the most dangerous scaffold I've worked on.
It was designed, erected by a private company to our bosses spec, and on every lift the inside was given a toeboard, and two rails up to waist level, all the way around each of the 9 lifts.
In 26 years I've never hit my hand so many times raking out a wall due to the obstructions presented by these safety measures to prevent any of us falling down the 200mm gap between the platform and chimney.
Well, that wouldn't have happened anyway as we spent 3 days cutting up several hundred pounds worth of 12mm ply to cover every gap on every lift to stop a "fall through" hazard....which then became a trip hazard.
The worst of it is that it's just a 3-4 man team of blokes who work together all the time doing the pointing work, and we can't even remove a single board or rail to gain access to the areas between lifts, or any ties/braces briefly to point behind and then reinstate them or the scaffold company's insurance is invalid.
We've all got Part 1 scaffold certificates from the days gone by when we did our own up to 50m so we aint thicko novices who will remove handrails and walk away! Work has become so restricted, yet it's deemed safe to have to duck and weave between bracers on the lifts we work on. Bring back bamboo and hemp rope....
:LOL:

We've just finished a repointing job on an old mill chimney. It's possibly the most dangerous scaffold I've worked on.
It was designed, erected by a private company to our bosses spec, and on every lift the inside was given a toeboard, and two rails up to waist level, all the way around each of the 9 lifts.
In 26 years I've never hit my hand so many times raking out a wall due to the obstructions presented by these safety measures to prevent any of us falling down the 200mm gap between the platform and chimney.
Well, that wouldn't have happened anyway as we spent 3 days cutting up several hundred pounds worth of 12mm ply to cover every gap on every lift to stop a "fall through" hazard....which then became a trip hazard.
The worst of it is that it's just a 3-4 man team of blokes who work together all the time doing the pointing work, and we can't even remove a single board or rail to gain access to the areas between lifts, or any ties/braces briefly to point behind and then reinstate them or the scaffold company's insurance is invalid.
We've all got Part 1 scaffold certificates from the days gone by when we did our own up to 50m so we aint thicko novices who will remove handrails and walk away! Work has become so restricted, yet it's deemed safe to have to duck and weave between bracers on the lifts we work on. Bring back bamboo and hemp rope....
:LOL:

Who gives you a part 1 scaffold cetifificate?

Sponsored Links
Back