mortise lock sos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, attempting to open two very old mortise locks where the keys are lost :!: There are no door handles and the locks are of considerable age and have not been opened for some years.......so very challenging :eek: as if this isn't problems enough, I do not know what type of locks these are........any tips on best way to proceed.....please :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It very much depends on your individual situation whether this would work, but if you can see the lock bolt at all, consider a 1mm thick slitting disc in a 4 1/2" angle grinder to cut the bolt through. You may be able to slice through the hinge middle if thats visible, and get through that way?

A lot depends on which way the door opens. If it's away from you you'll need either to pick the lock or do some GBH to the frame & make good later.
If it opens towards you Burnerman's suggestions would work. I'd tend to go for the hinge-pins: if there are hardened rollers in the mortice lock bolt you'll have a fight on your hands.
If it's an internal door I wouldn't expect the locks to be terribly high quality so grab a coat-hanger - it's worth a try.

It would be very useful if you told us what you're up to. For example are you trying to break into a bank or are you trying to open a cupboard. Are you inside the door or outside. How old is the house. should the locks have a handle or just a key.

Good idea about the hinges, can you see the hingle knuckles on your side (door opens towards you)?

if they are very old locks on internal house doors, they are probably simple warded tumbler locks and very easy to pick or open with a skeleton key

Start by looking at other locks in the house. They are probably similar. You can take one out if you like and post some pics for us to look at

or you could ask an established locksmith to come and open them for you

Sponsored Links
Hi, thank you for replying :) wish the locks were to a bank :p but no, the two locks i'm attempting to open are within an office in a part of a building not being used :!: One of the locks is a Yale (no numbers on the fitting) and the other is a mortice lock. There are no hinges visible from the outside of either door. can you help :?:

Hmm..

I'm assuming you're on the keyhole side of the Yale lock.

You can probably slip the catch on the Yale by taking the door-stop off and pushing your stoutest credit card into the crack. Something like a wallpaper scraper would be better though.

As for the mortice lock previous advice applies. If you do take off the door stop you'll be able to get to the mortice bolt with a hacksaw blade in a padsaw handle. If there are hardened pins in the bolt, though, you're stuffed. It's either the locksmith or frame abuse to solve the problem.

Good luck. It's just struck me that you might have a Yale deadlock to deal with in which case there'll be a catch AND a bolt to deal with. Let's know how you get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back