Can't remove 2 Lever mortise, nailed in?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, in my 60s property, the bathrooms have key operated 2 lever mortise locks. I want to remove them and replace with WC latch mortises. However, I can't get the old mortise out!

I removed two screws, but it appears there are two flush nails also securing the lock. Any ideas?

James

Sponsored Links
show us some photos, end and both sides.

Sponsored Links
If you take the brass handles off and pull the follower bar clear, what happens if you remove the two visible screws? Is the lock loose at all?
It looks like the lock casing has been fractured at some time at the top.
John :)

Fracture was me trying to get it out! I have had handles and bar out, screws off. Tried to pull the lock out by grasping the driver on both sides. Also hitting it with a hammer, trying to prize it out with a flat headed screw driver (hence the marks). Also tried shouting and swearing but its def nailed in with those flush looking nails.

Certainly a new one on me :eek: Have you anything to grind the nail heads off? If they are ring shank nails they can grip like hell.

When I removed the top of the plate (broke off) under the nail head was a washer of sorts. These locks are fitted to every room! Maybe I can drill out the nail?

they're not nails, they're the rivets holding the case to the front plate*

you have to remove the handles and the spindle.

show us pics after doing that, and after taking the screws out again. I want to see how much clearance there is round the spindle.

*unless there should be a decorative front plate that has been lost. Is there a makers name or other markings stamped into the front plate?

The lock looks pretty tight in its mortise, but is there no movement at all - at the top where its fractured?
You could even reinstate the follower bar and give it a tap from either side.

you're right, they do look like nails, I think it must be an amateur bodge, that's not original.

I think it's going to be pry and pincers. I'd carry on trying to lever out the front plates until you can get hold of the nail heads.

A tack lifter might help until you can get pincers on them

s-l225.jpg

Managed to get it off! It was a rivet holding the plate on. It was in very tight, had to use the spindle and hammer. Check out the pics! Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back