Moss on roof

The copper doesnt really work tbh. Maybe just a foot below where its placed. The copper ridge system that was sold years back was a bit of a myth in my experience. People used to put it on the ridge. But it would only really clean half a foot below it if the roof was already clean. Wouldnt really be strong enough to kill the moss that was already there. If it did was only a couple of rows of tiles as opposed to the whole roof.

Sponsored Links
why not just spray with bleach? or is that irresponsible?

Pretty sure bleach does kill moss. But you,ll end up with 3 quarters of it still on your roof the other quarter overflowing your gutters. You,ll basically just make a bigger mess. You,d also need a lot of bleach to kill the moss enough to unnatach it from the tile its growing on.

850,s not a terrible price if he does what he says hes going to do. I,d say about 600 to 850,s acceptable. 2 days hard work should cover it. Money out for the treatment. 300 each day for him and a helper. Cause its hard work tbh.

Theres almost always more moss up their than it looks from the ground.

Sponsored Links
And yet concrete roof tiles have a typical life of 60 years, clay and slate longer - coating or not. :rolleyes:

Yeah true pal. But its not exactly 60 years moss free. Moss is growing at a rapid pace nowadays. Theres roofs coated in it after twenty years. Do you just stay with a roof full of moss till its time to re-roof in forty years time? Moss blocking the gutters. Falling on the garden etc. Roof looking unsightly.

When someone can manually clean the tile....then put on a treatment to keep it clean. Not talking about roof coatings. Just to keep the tile moss free.

It does make a big difference in the appearance of your house . Moss can also cause problems with drainage. Pretty sure a concrete tile is pourous. Its mainly because there on at a pitch that their able to remain watertight for that say 60 years regardless of the temporary coating. Moss stops it from draining properly into the gutter. I m surprised roofers dont see it as a potential problem tbh. Even just looking at it from a common sense perspective. Water hits the tiles...drains down into the gutters ...then down into the downpipe. With the amount of moss on some of the roofs that drainage must be causing problems. In an ideal world your wanting that water off the roof asap. Bearing in mind concrete is actually porous. The longer water stays on the roof the quicker that tile starts to degrade i,d have thought. With the moss on some of them roofs nowadays....it got to be holding water on the roof for longer.

Most advice i see from roofers is copper ridge...which doesn,t work. And has never really worked to keep a roof clean.

Last edited:
He approached you! He'll be up there with a pressure washer and finished in time to drive you to the cash machine for the extras. They knock on my door two or three times a week as "they happened to have finished a big job on one of my (unspecified) neighbours houses early".
Buy a telescopic gutter cleaner. With a bit of luck that acid rain we used to have will be back in fashion again soon and will kill everything on your roof for you.

Thank you so much for all your replies, I've taken all the information in. I am not accepting his offer, gut feeling he just didn't appear at all professional, and quoted without looking at the back roof which I thought was very odd, apart from me being not sure it needs doing. For the time being I will get the gutters cleared as most of you suggest. This site always gives me such good information and I am very grateful for all your replies. I also loved the photos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back