Most efficient heating method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any idea which is the most effecient method for heating a conservatory especially during the Winter (just to keep it dry and not too cold to use) and what types of heater may fit the bill. The best method may not even be electrical - I've tried to search but get lots of useless ads.

Sponsored Links
Just gone through this same scenario myself.

I installed a low level convector radiator connected to my central heating system, with a thermostatic inlet valve. I did this as I didn't want to spend more money on the electricity when I've got a system already running in the rest of the house.

HOWEVER, the main drawback to this is that the CH system is controlled by a stat in my hall. The conserv cooles down far faster than the house, so the conserv rad (obviously) only is supplied when the 'stat makes a demand for the rest of the house. Therefore, the conserv is never as warm as the lounge - and is heated in "cycles".
Also, I believe that plumbing in a rad to a conserv means it is considered an extension, and it becomes subject to a different set of building regs (related to environmental stuff such as heat loss etc).

If I had taken a bit more time thinking about it, I would have done the following:-

Stand alone oil filled rad - supplied from a time controlled programmable room stat.
Therefore the timer would control "on" periods (and prevent it from heating at night), and the room stat could give controlled temps plus "temp boosts" during the day.

OR
Underfloor heating - getting cheaper these days.

Another option I considered was a rad connected to my CH system, with one of those electrical heating elements you can insert into the rad, controlled by a time switch. Sadly, the rad I chose (a speciallist conserv/greenhouse one) will not accept one of these.

Hope this is of help

Engineer Lane

What about this? See this for more info. (is it really true they cost 1p per hour??)

SmartPanel One (1p per hour) SP01
The SlimSave Ultra panel heaters generate efficient economical background heat using minimal electricity. The ultra slim design means they can be unobtrusively fixed to the wall or used free standing (N.B. the bathroom model MUST be wall mounted). Running costs are from around 1p per hour for the mini & bathroom models, 2p for the midi and only 3p for the maxi model. The SlimSave Ultra panel heaters are ideal for continuous use, rapidly reaching their optimum surface temperature of 85°C and maintaining this temperature constantly.

The SlimSave Ultra panel heaters are ideal for:

• conservatories
• home offices
• spare rooms
• hallways
• bedrooms
• loft rooms
• airing cupboards
• caravans

or anywhere you require efficient energy saving background heat.

ps ban-all-sheds, is this any good for your airing cupboard?

masona said:
...is it really true they cost 1p per hour...
I guess that depends on how much electricity they use, and how much you pay for it. 1p/hour implies approx 180W, which is feasible.

ps ban-all-sheds, is this any good for your airing cupboard?
Funny you should mention that - just today I was looking at these from TLC - similar looking product (but a lot cheaper than the one mentioned above). I think the 200W will be ideal, and has a couple of other advantages as well as price - firstly a much lower surface temperature, and secondly if I'm out when it's delivered I won't have the neighbours gossiping about me ordering stuff from a company called "Hygiene Supplies" :LOL:

Dooneys - take a look at TLC - they have a number of heaters which are designed for the shed/conservatory environment.

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem. My conservatory is fairly small - 3m x 3m but it gets very cold in the winter due to lack of sunshine. I use a standard convector heater on a low thermostat setting mainly to stop the plants from getting frosted. I have tried opening the doors from the adjoining room but that got too cold to sit in! :eek:
I would think that the TLC products would probably keep the chill off (I might consider them myself) but would have thought that you would need a bit more power to make it comfortable to use.

I've just been in a customers conservatory. They have underfloor electric heating. The floor felt barely warm , but the conservatory was very comfortable at about 18 to 19 deg C

Many thanks for all the replies- very much appreciated ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back