Most likely source of the problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Before I call someone in, wonder if anyone out there can help me?

At the moment, I can only get either the upstairs rads or some of the downstairs rads on, but not both - and the last rad in the loop gets no heat at all. I'm unsure whether this is more likely to be related to the boiler, pump or something else. My boiler is a Potterton Profile 100e, fitted sometime between 1991 and 2002 (i.e. Handbook is dated 1991) and serves 13 radiators.

Other information:

1. I've drained and re-filled system and bled air.

2. System was power flushed last November.

3. Boiler seems to make kettling' noise and seems to go on and off quite regularly.

4. System re-fill pipe must be blocked - I have to re-fill with hose on drain cocks.

5. Boiler seems to heat water efficiently enough - i.e. pipes to rads are too hot to hold.

All help greatly appreciated. What I'm trying to avoid is having someone take the 'easy' route and telling me I need to cough up for a new boiler if there's a cheaper problem to sort out first.

Thanks,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
2. System was power flushed last November.
4. System re-fill pipe must be blocked - I have to re-fill with hose on drain cocks.
These statements are contradictory. If the system was properly flushed, you would not have a blocked feed and expansion pipe.

Anyway, the blocked pipe is probably related to the problem. Could be sludge blocking system since the effectiveness of the "power flushing" is highly suspect.

Many thanks, Chris.

And, yes, you've found me out! I'm pretty sure that although I systematically power flushed each radiator, I had no idea that other components (such as the cold feed) should be considered. So it was a 'layman's' power flush, I'm afraid!

Anyway, good to have some back up to my guess that I should get this feed problem sorted before I move on to the pump and then boiler.

Cheers,
Mike.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back