Most Sockets working but 2 are not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

last weekend my OH plugged in a faulty extension lead for the Christmas lights, this instantly tripped the MCB and when checking the lead I found it was shorted L-N by something dislodged inside. Anyway the lead was thrown away and the MCB reset.

This put power back to all the downstairs sockets in both the dining room and the kitchen however the 2 sockets in the lounge did not have power to them. I went back to the CU and turned off the main RCD then flicked the MCB off and on a few times to see then reset the RCD - still no power?

Today I've had a bit more time to spend looking at it, it's an old house but the wiring was only done about 15 years ago. Using a multimeter I can see there is power coming through the MCB (which I knew because the rest of the sockets were working) but there is no power at either of the 2 sockets in the lounge?

I looked to see if I can find a fused spur that these may be fed from but there is nothing obvious? So now I'm at a loss? The wiring in both sockets are sound with nothing loose, the MCB and RCD have not tripped?

Any ideas on what I should check next?

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
An L-N short may have tripped the MCB but also will have popped a 13A fuse, if one exists. Ahigh current can also break down bad connections in hidden juction boxes (eg).
But you are right to think about a hidden FCU. It does sound like that might be the case, but the only way to resolve this is to get your trusty multimeter and start tracing some wires. (some of these may be in walls, under floors or in ceilings.)

Maybe start by examining how many cables are behind each socket. Does one look like a spur off the other??

No easy answers, I'm afraid - but keep looking for the mystery FCU.

Hi, was the faulty extension lead plugged into one of the sockets that is now not working ?

Thanks,

KA

Sounds that the likely culprit is a FCU, if we can assume that one of the non working sockets was powering the extension lead when the circuit blew.
But it could also be a a loose or damaged connection.
The first thing to do is have a good look around for a fuse connection unit, they could be anywhere, even on a different level/floor of the house.
Also don't rule out the two sockets being spurred from the MCB and just may a loose connection has occurred at either live or neutral.
The use of approved testing equipment is recommending for testing continuity and voltage.

Sponsored Links
Maybe start by examining how many cables are behind each socket. Does one look like a spur off the other??

Sounds that the likely culprit is a FCU, if we can assume that one of the non working sockets was powering the extension lead when the circuit blew.
But it could also be a a loose or damaged connection.
The first thing to do is have a good look around for a fuse connection unit, they could be anywhere, even on a different level/floor of the house.
Also don't rule out the two sockets being spurred from the MCB and just may a loose connection has occurred at either live or neutral.
The use of approved testing equipment is recommending for testing continuity and voltage.

I've pretty much ruled out an fused spur (FCU) unless it is hidden under the floorboards? Also I've taken faceplates of both sockets and the cover off the CU but all connections are sound.

Tomorrow evening when I have a little time I'm going to empty a store cupboard and see if there is an junction boxes in there an hopefully that will shed some light on the issue.

That could mean that there is another accessory or two on the spur that I would presume would be dead also.
or the circuit is a radial and again other accessories are also dead.
or you have a leg out either side of the two sockets on ring final circuit.

The easiest test to do on the ring final would be end to end tests at the consumer to see it the ring is broken.
Have you actually tested for voltage at these sockets, rather than plug and play?

That could mean that there is another accessory or two on the spur that I would presume would be dead also.
or the circuit is a radial and again other accessories are also dead.
or you have a leg out either side of the two sockets on ring final circuit.

The easiest test to do on the ring final would be end to end tests at the consumer to see it the ring is broken.
Have you actually tested for voltage at these sockets, rather than plug and play?

Hi,

all other sockets in the house are working fine, I've taken the faceplate off each of the faulty sockets and there is zero voltage at both of them.

I would perform an end to end continuity test on the ring final circuit, to see if you have continuity off all conductors. This would tell you if the two sockets were part of the ring loop or if they are spurred from it.
I am taking it on trust that these two socket are powered by the ring final protective device and not part of another circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back