Most unreliable cars?

A few years ago I bought a ten year old megane. Nothing but electrical and numerous niggling faults that seemed never ending. The eight month relationship with it was a good learning curve. A guy up the road from me has an eighteen year old Volvo 940 estate he had since 1997 with just over 400 thousand on the clock, used everyday, has never let him down once.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone done a count up of which cars crop up most commonly here? A quick scan would lead me to avoid Vauxhalls especially Vivaros, Peugeots and Volkswagens. Fords feature often too but I guess they are just about the world's most popular brand so I suppose they would.

Agree on the Vauxhalls, Peugeots and Fords, but Volkswagen ??

unreilable cars i have been given to drive as a company driver.
1.mondeo 2002 diesel.did not reach 58000 miles from new.cam failure.
2.vectra 2005 2.2 diesel.3 fuel pumps in 2 years,sump gasket then head gasket failure.returned to lease company.
3.wifes meriva 2006,eps failure resulting in a collision.
4.vauxhall vivaro,we have 4 but use 2 as they are prepared for outside broadcast vehicles,yes we keep 2 spare as they are often on the back of recovery vehicles.

now i supply my own car and i am on my second skoda superb estate with a combined mileage of 15300.only faults have been punctures.
both are ex demo cars.
they just keep going and going and a nice car to drive.

sunnie.

There is a bit of an anomaly here though, I have a Peugeot 406 Hdi which has covered over 200,000 miles with no major problems as far as I know and this is pretty general for the car, there are some for sale with 300,000+ miles, I also have a Citroen XM estate which has also covered nearly 300,000 miles and yet the C5 which uses the same engine/transmissions as the 406 and is about one of the most unreliable cars about, I know its mainly the electronics that are problematic but they are both made by PSA so why. The later Citroens seem to have much more engine trouble but I put that down to the ridiculously long oil change intervals.

A look at the 'owners reviews' in Parkers guide is very revealing.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I had a 406 which was great. 170K before I sold it on. The XM I had was great, the BX likewise. The Xantia was a real Friday car though, always in and out of the garage. The ZX was good as was the 106.

The Meganne we had was rubbish, as was the Vectra and I've just scrapped my Alhambra because the turbo's blown and it would cost more to repair than the car's worth.

I've had nothing but Peugeot/Citroen diesels since 1985 and I've been well pleased with all of them. The only exception was when I needed wheels in a real hurry after a write-off, and I got a Montego turbo diesel estate, which was as good as any of them, though probably a bit noisier.

The Montego was a brilliant car - apart from the rust- the first DI diesel engine, noisy but very economical, the later ones had mechanical two stage injection which made them much quieter.

I have run diesel hydropnumatic Citroens for the last 25 years or more, I stll reckon the CX was best - saw a 6 wheel Safari in Sevenoaks yesterday.

Peter

One of the PSA group cars I had was a Citroen CXDTR TURBO 2 Safari [Estate car]. It was brilliant, very comfortable and fast. You could get an amazing amount of cargo on board. I once transported two AGAs with it, one in bits in the car and another assembled on a trailer. I could get two Rayburns inside the car.

I had one of those but mine was the turbo 1 non intercooled, I had it for seven years and did over 150,000 miles in it and although not as powerful as the 2 it was the best car I had ever owned apart from its quirk of blowing head gaskets about every 15,000 miles! After changing the head twice and having the block machined I found it was due to a pourous block - quite common apparantly. The fact that I was prepared to fit about 15 head gaskets in its life gives you an idea of my devotion to it but they were dead easy to change.

Prior to that I had two non turbo versions from about 1980 and they were just amazing for diesels, the first really refined diesel cars. I have had a string of XMs since and have just bought a C5 :oops: they have gone steadily down hill since.

Peter

ferrari 599gtb sometimes unreliable but an excellent car had to let it go as warranty expired.
car did not like the english weather.same as me.

Love Italian engineering Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ........

25mm between 2 components, so they make the wiring loom 24mm

Ah Yes classic italian electrics. My dad used to have a 1982 Alfa Giulietta and later a 75. Both were great cars but the electrics would go wrong every other month.

Sponsored Links
Back