Most unusal thing found in a wall

Sponsored Links
Once went with a Building Inspector to visit a job. On the way we stopped at one of his tasks. Excavating foundations for a starter unit. They had found a cable going under the plot into an empty field heading for ancient cowshed. Nothing else for miles.They had been told it was ex US Army from WWII and was safe. Good old BI told him to contact MANWEB (as it was then) and don't touch it.
Coming back, we met the ambulance. Apparently the foreman had told a worker to cut through it with hacksaw. The chap felt a tingle and refused to cut more. The foreman said !*!!* - look I'll show you it's safe. Taking a neon screwdriver from his pocket, he jammed it into the cable. He was thrown out of the hole (leaving one of his boots behind), was unconscious for a while and was badly burned, but did recover.
Never trust the military to have disconnected anything - especially something that doesn't exist!

Sponsored Links
When I was a working as a joiner, many moons ago, myself and my appentice were sent out to a cottage renovation in the north of Scotland.

Our job was to rip out the old and install a new kitchen. During the tear down, there was a large floor to ceiling larder unit that had a 1m base unit coming off it at 90 degrees. In the space behind the base unit we found a corpse, which had obviously been there for many years. It was an elderly man who was in the fetal position.

Obviously we were totally shocked, and immediately called the local cops. The old guy turned out to be the father of the previous family who had owned the property. The only way the cops could identify the body was by a small badge on the lapel of his jacket, which read "Scottish Hide and seek Champion 1972".....

A few years back was helping a mate rewire his semi...

It was empty, so we had the supply turned off to rip out everything in the house.

The dining room had a concrete floor and a single socket on the party wall...and whilst dismantling this he received a shock.

On investigation we found that the cable feeding it was run through the wall from a socket in the neighbours house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back