Mot failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ive got a renault master van lwb in white 54 plate 3000cc that has today failed the mot.

The garage want over a £1000 for the work so I want to try and keep the costs down as best as possible so I want to source the parts myself can anybody help me out on what I need so I can order them the certificate is attached thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ouch, there's a fair bit of work there. No water and I take it the airbag light is on?
To me around £1k doesn't sound bad!

Put water in it, make sure you have oil in the engine and get the emissions tested. No good spending money if its going to fail emissions?

A lot of that work is safety related, so there isn't much to save on, unless you want to do the work yourself? Be careful that you get all the correct parts (VIN Number will be required) a good local motor factor will be best. Might be a good idea to line someone up to do the work before buying the parts.

Do all the sums, because things soon add up, is it a proper good van, worth spending the money on?

Sponsored Links
I can't advise yay or nay regarding repairs, but most of the failure items are what you could expect considering the mileage (anyone see that) :p
and most vehicles would be suffering the same.
If the radiator had no water, there could be other problems lurking.
John :)

Hi the radiator has a hole in it so need to change the rad and also think the clutch is on its way out as hard to get in gear, I paid £2000 for the van 12 months ago the bodywork is overgood condition and starts and runs fine generally

Be careful or it will turn into a money pit

i think its time to stick it on ebay as spares or repair, a clutch and radiator is going to cost around £500 too.

Im just worried i spend 3k on another van and have the same problems where if I spend £1500 quid on this ive got a decent van for £3500

Good point, but make sure you know the upper limit, for example if its the gearbox?

There is over 200K Miles on it, some would say it should go into semi retirement.

I'm not trying to put you off, we fix old stuff all the time, but you need to know when to call it a day. Especially when you are getting someone else to do the work it can get expensive.

Would it not be worth a bit as a trade-in and put the £1500 with it for one with a full MOT and half the miles on the clock? Though you probably have it fully kitted out in the back, so it mightn't just be that easy.

Good luck what ever you decide, its all money

That's a huge list. Looking at the MoT history, I can't really believe that a van having done 8k since it's last test has developed all these faults.

MoTs can be subjective at times, which is why I rotate my cars around different garages, but there must be something wrong going on at either that last MoT place (which carried out 3 tests over 2 years) or this one.

I am contemplating what sort of person drives around with a hole in the radiator, bald and cracked tyres, and faulty brakes, steering, suspension and wipers.

If i was to add onto the work above to fit a new radiator,a clutch change and a service how long do you think this would take one competent person to do?

Sponsored Links
Back