Mother and father of all weeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In my album you will see four images of our drive and border around our conservatory.

I have tried a combo of weekiller, strimmer, digging up periodically but to no avail. The guy who cuts our hedges and trees suggested a strong weedkiller but I think I've tried just about all of em!

Don't have to be too careful as we don't have pets and none nearby.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards

L

Sponsored Links
With a name like that you deserve weeds.........

;)

They are just dandelions grass and a few other common weeds, dig them out lift the shingle and put down weed matting before replacing the shingle.
Should be fine then.

Thank your lucky stars you haven't got bindweed, knot-weed or horsetail, they will still be here with the rats and cockroaches long after we have gone! ;)

Maybe your problem is that you are digging up the weeds before the weedkiller has killed off the root system, with the result that they re-appear.

Suggest you try Roundup before the growing season ends (good killers only work on green growing foliage) then sit back for a few weeks until it's had a chance to do its job. Nothing may appear to happen for 2 to 3 weeks, then things will start to die back but at this stage you must avoid the temptation to dig out the weed.

Sponsored Links
Maybe your problem is that you are digging up the weeds before the weedkiller has killed off the root system, with the result that they re-appear.

Suggest you try Roundup before the growing season ends (good killers only work on green growing foliage) then sit back for a few weeks until it's had a chance to do its job. Nothing may appear to happen for 2 to 3 weeks, then things will start to die back but at this stage you must avoid the temptation to dig out the weed.

Many thanks for responses aside from first one. Do I detect the Celtic fringe there :p

I just want to balance the advice re using Roundup and waiting with that of digging up weed and using weed matting etc. Can I do both? I.e round up treatment then "wait" then the other procedure? If so how long do folk normally "wait" with this product?

Thanks again

Longshanks (son also called Edward in honour of my hero).

I'd reckon on about a month unless the weather is particularly good (warm and humid) Poor growing weather slows down the kill rate.

roundup mixed as per the bottle should leave weeds visibly brown and dead in two weeks.

A glyphosate weedkiller applied twice yearly will keep that under control.

Or you could dig out and put clean stone down, but weeds will return eventually

Blimey - before seeing your pics (given the name of this topic) I was imagining some jungle or other! Its just a few little weeds in a drive for gawd's sake. Get down there and dig them out - done in 30 minutes.

Hi again

Have the Roundup know but not sure how much to use etc as instructions all relate to crop spraying on an industrial scale!!

You will have seen that I just need to treat middle of drive which is approx 16m by 1m.

I have 5 litres of Roundup. Do I use it all in one go or use half of it and then reapply after a month or so?

Many thanks

Longshanks

That is diluted hopefully? What are the instructions on the label?
I think you have bought 5l of concentrate. If so, that is idiotic. Or this entire thread is a windup.
What does it say on the label? How much did it cost?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back