Motor advice. Starter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I need some advice on motors.
To cut to the chase would I need a separate starter unit on these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-PHAS...W-1400RPM-2800RPM-2-POLE-4-POLE-/191276593244

if fitted to a cement mixer?
Some outlets say yes, some no.

The background is that the original motor overheats and cuts out at the sniff of a shovelfull of gravel.
The mixer itself is too good to scrap.
New Belle mixers are shockingly expensive
I'll steer well clear of "good secondhand" or cheap chinese mixers thanks all the same
The original Belle Mixer motors are unobtainable now.
The newer Belle motors are completely different and wont fit
The local motor rewinders are by all accounts, cowboys
I like the idea of the Loncin 1.8hp petrol motors but prefer the simplicity of 240v.
Which has all led me to the ebay link

Looking at the original motor,

IMG_20160810_110212482.jpg
IMG_20160810_110230449.jpg

there doesnt appear to be a starter but just a small toggle switch on one of the 'pods'
I understand the new motor should be a Cap Start/Cap Run type rather than Perm Cap due to the load it must turn from standstill.
The correct 2800 rpm versions have just L and N connection terminals.

Would the answer to the original question change if I upgraded from the 0.38kw to a more powerful one ( the physical dimensions are a better match on the upgrades)

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
From the info supplied in the ad., I think it would be fine to use without any additional starting device as long as you use it properly i.e. don't start it when full of material. I have asked for this post to be moved to the electrical section where your post will be seen by people who are more expert where motors are concerned.

Should be fine on starting, does the original motor turn freely, if its overheating with little load it might just need bearings replacing in motor or elsewhere. Brook crompton are pretty good motors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back