motor question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just removed a motor from a hospital plant room im a bit of an idiot on star delta theory and all that the motor has 3 wires only is it a star or delta?

Sponsored Links
There should be a nameplate on it, what are the details. If there are only three wires, are you sure this is a 3 phase motor? If it is, then it's star connected, since the star ends of the windings are inside the motor i.e. not at the terminal block, this would be unusual - all the winding ends - starts and finishes, are usually brought out to the terminal block.

Regards

In the terminal box on the motor there are normally 6 pillars. If the links are arranged so there are 3 in parallel with the phase connections i.e. U1-W2, V1-U2, W1-V2, then it is configured for delta, if the links are across W2-U2-V2 with the phase connections to U1, V1 and W1 then it is star.
Some pretty pictures here: Clicky

Sponsored Links
yeah it is a 415v motor in star so does each winding terminate or do they go to a centre tap as to the star diagram

U1-U2 are the 2 ends of one coil, V1-V2 2nd coil, W1-W2 the 3rd coil.
The bar across U2-V2-W2 is the star point, tho as the load is ballanced there is no need to have a neutral connected to it.

yes understand that, but i have a star motor 3 conection points, if i followed each winding where does and how does it terminate in the motor?

If there are only 3 connections available then the star point will be installed somewhere internal to the motor windings.

the ends of the 3 coils, aka the star point.
If you only have 3 connections, and 3 phase wires to put in them there is not a lot else you can do other than connect one to each. You cannot configure the motor differently unless you have access to both ends of each coil i.e. the 6 terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back