motorised valve being renewed, how can i overide it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, I called in a heating engineer on monday morning first thing, my gas central heating didnt work, but plenty of hot water !.

he very quickly removed this valve thingie off of a pipe junction near the pump in the airing cupboard, he said he could supply and fit a new one on friday.

he showed me a couple of black plastic bits that stuck out of this valve and propmptly put it to manual overide, which worked for a while, but it didnt last long, so i am now still cold until he returns LOL.

So can i ask the membership how can i manipulate these plastic bits to get manual overide again ?. apart from taking a very poor photo of it i dont see how i can give you enough info to help me LOL.

I shall just have to trust him to come back with a new one on friday !.

plenty of hot water and we do have a gas fire in the lounge LOL.

tim

Sponsored Links
Leave the thingie off the junction.
Turn the thermostat on the hw cylinder high, say to 75 degrees.
Turn the thermostat on the boiler to the minimum (above off!)
Then the boiler will try but fail to get the water up to temperature so be on all the time.
Now go to where the thingie was, and twiddle the spindle it turned in the brassy bit. That will open the valve to the rads and behold, warm rads.

thanks ChrisR that is very helpfull, explained like a true scholar.

bloody stupid thing, i'll bet they are always going wrong, i suppose when it is all over, i shall kick myself because it looks as if I could have done it myself !!!, for a lot less dosh !!!!

i was amazed when this apparently so important thingie came off the junction so easy, i thought then, if i had known that, that was the fault i could have done it myslef, LOL.

tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back