Motorised valve leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A 2 port motorised valve I fitted around 18 months ago still works fine but has suddenly developed a small leak after everything cools down overnight; the leak quickly disappears when the boiler fires up in the morning. The valve is tucked away behind the boiler & so it’s not easy to establish exactly where the leak is coming from without removing it. I’m obviously going to have to drain the system down but I've not had one of these valves apart before; I assume there is a gasket between the brass valve body & the motor plate &, presumably, a ring seal on the motor drive shaft itself? Is this leak likely to be easy to repair once the valve is removed or should I just bite the bullet, get the plastic out & buy a new valve.

I obviously want a direct replacement without having to mess around modifying the boiler pipe work but I’m not particularly impressed by the current unit (Tower VAL222MP) lasting just 18 months; are all valve bodies made to a standard dimension across the fittings? Any suggestions for a more reliable unit? ;)

Sponsored Links
you'll find its probably a rubber seal leaking.
it maybe just one of the compression nuts needs a tighten
honeywell V4043 i find the best

But if the system is full of muck then it will grind away at the rubber seals of any make. But I agree with seco and use Honeywell valves.

Not a weeping compression joint unfortunately & both the system & water are still sparklingly clean & inhibited; all the radiators, tanks & a lot of the system pipe work was replaced (except the 2 year old oil burner) & flushed as part of a major system refurbishment when the valve was fitted 18 months ago.

I take it repairing the existing valve is probably not a good idea then? A new Honeywell was my original thought (one in my last house was still good after 18 years!) but I was a bit miffed by the £40+ price tag; both the plastic & bank account are a little strained at the moment! Don’t suppose you know if the valve bodies are the same length across the fittings?

Sponsored Links
Repair is academic now as the feekin motor has packed up as well :rolleyes: ; Honeywell it is then; sorry for delay & thanks for the response. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back