Motorized Vavle Orientation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've been replacing a dud isolation valve in our heating system which has resulted in us having to drain the whole system :(. I was surprised to find though that the motorized two port valve controlling the heating which should have been closed was also letting by slightly.

I've tried manually opening and closing it and it seems to be free running but I did notice that from the open position it turns a lot further one way that it does the other. I then noticed that the valve for the hot water appears to have the motor fitted the other way round. In other words on the hot water valve the manual over ride wheel is on the side furthest from the boiler on the heating valve it's on the side closest to the boiler.

What I'm concerned about is that the heating valve has had it's motor fitted back to front and that is why it isn't closing correctly. Presumably the motor is designed to turn one way to open and the opposite to close. I don't know if you can fit them back to front but it is clear from the fact the two we have are different ways round they can be fitted differently.

Sponsored Links
The valve is driven open by the motor and returns and is held closed by spring pressure.

Yours seems to have been fitted backwards. They will still work and will actually close more firmly as they are pushed closed by pump resssure but they will tend to "bang shut" if they close while the pump is still on.

Best to bit them correctly!

In the closed position the ball is closest to the pump flow.

Tony

Some motorized valve are normally close power open, and some are normally open power closed.

There's an arrow on the body which should show the flow direction.

But those are not normally found in domestic installations after 1970 !

Tony

Sponsored Links
I used the word "normally" and "C" plans are so rare I dont remember ever seeing one!

Nor are coal and wood systems with power off opening "normal".

In fact coal is so difficult to get rid of I had to put some in the wheelie bin!

Tony

You should put the coal in the car and transfer it to mine.

I had to take it out of the car and left it in the parking area but it was actually Martha who put it in the bin.

Being very green I dont feel comfortable throwing away a fuel that has been dug out of the ground.

But perhaps it was the right thing to do as Martha was complaining about it and now she has had to find something else. ( She missed two bags between two of the cars though ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back