Mould and Wet Ply - Keep or Discard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched, found a few bits of info, but could do with some quick help:

I have done a loft conversion, with a plywood flat roof. I'll cut to the chase - some of the ply has got wet. I am now drying it, but there is some mould - green bits, grey fluff and some white slimy stuff, here and there. Not a lot but a bit. Almost no delamitation it seems, but some ply got pretty wet and stayed wet for some 4+ weeks.

Simple Q: If I dry the ply out, will it be fine to use, or should I discard it if there has been mould growing?

Many thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome greenlikeapples :D :D :D

how thick is the ply and what centers are the timbers

Hi Big All

I went a little overboard - it's 18mm ply with a 9mm ply on top so we can walk on it

Joists are at 400 centres although there is 60mm of continuous sound insulation and heat insulation between the ply and the joists

Cheers

thats what i am getting at really if you've overspecked you have redundancy so can put up with a bit off delamination no probs

i would just clean the surface with water and bleach let them fully dry for several days
chuck it flat between 2 fence posts and jump on it
it will off course bow probably till it touches the ground but should show up any weaknesses around the edges

Sponsored Links
Hi

Great thanks - that is the conclusion I had come to - let it dry and bleach on the bits with mould

What do you reckon - it has been on the roof in the wind and the sun all day today, some of yesterday, and will be same again tomorrow (well wind and air if not sun) - you think this is enough, or a few more days inside or under tarps?

Jon

i would try and get it below around at least 16% ideally 12 or 13%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back