Mould on wall, need solution - CANT FIND SOURCE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i know the answer is to find the souce of the damp, but I need something to tie me over till the wifes nagging becomes unbearable. I can stick it normally.

What Im after is a product that will halt the seeping through of damp for as long as i can. Should I be looking at lining paper? or is there an adhesive or polymer that will act as a barrier?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Sponsored Links
There are various "Paint On " products that are suposed to stop damp from penetrating. Unless you stop the source of the damp, whatever you put on will eventually peel or flake off. That said if you use a small fan heater to direct the heat to the damp patch, this should dry it up enough to get some of the damp proof sealer on to the wall. this can then be over painted or papered, but will not stop the problem.

you have not given us any clues on where this damp is

what the conditions are

if it is coming from the wall or the air.

you have not given us any clues on where this damp is

what the conditions are

if it is coming from the wall or the air.

Hi John,

its seeping through from exterior wall, directly onto interior fascia. theres no gutters or drains nearby.

Sponsored Links
is it rain, or a plumbing leak?

bad pointing? damaged brick or render? near a window? near a chimney? solid wall or cavity?

even if you seal it, the plaster will fall off in time.

is it rain, or a plumbing leak?

bad pointing? damaged brick or render? near a window? near a chimney? solid wall or cavity?

even if you seal it, the plaster will fall off in time.

It must be rain, onto cracked render, seeping through cavity wall (with insulation), also beside a window.

beside a window, so it may be the window frame/head has a gap/crack probably where it meets the wall and water is running down.

I have the same problem with mould in a 100 year old cottage.
This builds up over time with lack of ventillation.
The solution is, I believe, not to paper the walls (giving them chance to breathe) and keep windows open a little if poss.
The mould can be removed with an anti-mould squirter but builds up again
especially behind curtains etc.
I am about to strip the wall-paper prior to emulsion and would welcome any advice on the best interior walls damp-proof coating. (UK)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back