Mould problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Seem to be having a issue with mould in the small room of a house I let out. The tenants have just sent me a picture of it, which is behind the bed.

The radiator is on an exterior wall, and the mould is even on the carpet. No leaks from radiator.

Any ideas on what could be causing this.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Pics of the outside wall would be useful opposite the affected area.
Could be water ingress or condensation, mould feeds on water and damp corners.

Pics of the outside wall would be useful opposite the affected area.
Could be water ingress or condensation, mould feeds on water and damp corners.

Thanks

I'm popping over tonight, so will take a few pictures.

Condensation. Increase insulation, ventilation and airflow - reduce moisture. Make sure they are using kitchen and bathroom extract fans and the trickle vents are open on the windows. Nine times out of ten tenants will turn off bath fans and you'll find the trickle vents closed.

Sponsored Links
Agree with above. The fact the bed has been against it is a dead givaway.

Bed against the wall = trapped stale air behind it.

The fact it is an outside wall means it will cool very quickly and the water vapour in the trapped air behind the bed has no where to go.

Warm air holds more water vapour than cold/cool air. So when the air cools after the radiator goes off it can no longer hold all the water. It then condensates on the nearest cold surface....the wall

Solution: It is the tenants use of the house. See above for jeds advice..... combined with bad furniture and radiator placement....

Clean the surface and area fully. Leave a larger gap from wall to bed, and where possible, do not use that radiator as much or set it on a much lower temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back