Mould Resistant Silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a silicone (or similar type sealant) with a proven resistance to mould? I have to replace some which is almost black with mould and don't want to be doing it again in a year or so.

Also is there something which makes the removal of old silicone easier? I have seen something called silicone eater but is it any good?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
kp - where can I get the dow corning?

B - thanks for that I will give it a go.

Sponsored Links
The word to look for is "Sanitary" - these have the mouldicide! Dow Corning is a good brand, but also the Unibond Sanitary Sealants from the shed's, which say they last 30 years, are very good. The stuff behind my kitchen sink, against the tiles, is still shiny white and it's always getting wet. 15 years and counting.

ChrisR said:
The word to look for is "Sanitary" - these have the mouldicide! Dow Corning is a good brand, but also the Unibond Sanitary Sealants from the shed's, which say they last 30 years, are very good. The stuff behind my kitchen sink, against the tiles, is still shiny white and it's always getting wet. 15 years and counting.
I for one don't believe this ****** about fungicide in silicone. If they really had an additive that would be a fungicide for the life of the silicone as it implies [but probably doesn't state] then why dont they add it to paint and call it 'paint for damp bathrooms' or something.
I think the key to it not going black with mould is more to do with the
shiny white
surface not allowing the spores to venture into the substance. Building the silicone up so that water cant rest on it is also helpful then after that the standard measures for dealing with condensation apply:- Dry heat and ventilation
This removes the stale dampness that provides the perfect habitat for fungi

why dont they add it to paint and call it 'paint for damp bathrooms' or something.
They do! The Dulux one is particularly good.

You must have been to or done lots of silicone jobs where the one which says Sanitary removes the problem though? I have the impression that they do do what they say, and they often are hardly any more expensive.

ChrisR said:
why dont they add it to paint and call it 'paint for damp bathrooms' or something.
They do! The Dulux one is particularly good.

You must have been to or done lots of silicone jobs where the one which says Sanitary removes the problem though? I have the impression that they do do what they say, and they often are hardly any more expensive.

Didnt know about the paint.

Re the silicone. cant say that I have noticed any real difference between the sanitary and the stuff used for double glazing. I put it down to
I think the key to it not going black with mould is more to do with the
Quote:
shiny white
surface not allowing the spores to venture into the substance.
Although I cant say for sure cos by the time the mould could grow again I'm outa there! ........ gone!!!!!!!!! :evil:
Never been called back yet tho!

Some things you should know

1) Mould does not feed on the silicone, it only lives where its dap so well applied smooth surface will be better
2) Look for a silicone with a fungicide - they aren't too bad for most applications however the fungicide bleeds from the silicone (that's how it works) over time and will become less effective. It would be worse with a paint because of the high surface area:material volume ratio ie fungicide would evaporate v quickly!

Dow Corning are the biggest manufacturer, but Unibond, Vallance, Everbuild, Adshead, Wurth etc all buy material for the 3 main manufacturers, one of which I work for!

Bod-one, perhaps you can tell us, then, if there is any significant difference in quality between different brands, or are they all much the same? I tend to buy the cheapest - is that a mistake?

chrishutt said:
I tend to buy the cheapest - is that a mistake?
depends on waht you want to use it for really doesn't it.

not all sealants are silicone, some are "water based" (belive it or not)
imho the best is one which is silicone based and smells of acetic acid (vinegar)

each sealant is designed for a specific task, for example you wouln't use an indoor sealant to seal a bathtub, it wont last long, it will go mouldy.

I have tried b & q own brand but now stick to (punn was intended) well known brand as it last longer, sticks better

or try it this way.

a backed bean is a baked bean, right? then explain this

you can buy asda economy beans @13p/tin, asda own brand @24p/tin & heinz@43p/tin prices taken from asda website (other suppliers of beans are available)

all are beans, all are grown, all close in size of tin, heinz cost over 3 times as much as economy beans, the reason? the contents of the sauce and quantity of beans

my point is like most things ih life, you get what you pay for

the reason? the contents of the sauce and quantity of beans
This alone does not explain the price differences. Heinz beans and Asda beans have different marketing philosophies - the former heavily branded and advertised, the latter relying entirely on the brand and marketing of the supermarket chain itself. They therefore have to carry different levels of overheads.

Quite possibly the actual beans are identical, even from the same factory, but enough customers are persuaded by the marketing of Heinz that its beans are somehow superior. Similarly with silicone sealant, is the well known brand really significantly better?

believe it or not heinz dont make anything for anyone else, i.e beans, surpisingly though, robertsons (famous for jam) do

back to silicone, yes well known brand (specially one that smells of acitic acid) really is better, unibond is what i prefer to use

check this out:

85p

£4.25

apart from colour tell me why should i use the first one?

the second one, is more versatile, can be used outside when its raining etc, you cant do that with the first one, you get what you pay for

Yes, but you're not comparing like with like. To start with the 85p one isn't even silicone. I'm asking about products that share the same specification (e.g. sanitary silicone sealant with fungicide, for baths), one with a well known brand name and the other without.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back