Mountfield Lawn Tractor 1436S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been given a non working Mountfield without any instructions. It only has one pedal, how does it brake? I really need a wiring diagram as the interlocks are complex. Has anyone got any info I could buy or borrow please? even a user guide would help. I am in the UK. If you answer this thread I'll then give out my contact details.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The 1436 is usually designated H (for hydrostatic transmission) or M (manual transmission).
The interlocks can be unplugged and the machine should still crank over.
The hydrostatic model has one rocking pedal.....forward and backward, so it only needs a parking brake.
Maybe a few pics would help us?
John :)

It only has one pedal, how does it brake?

From experience of mine, which does have a separate brake pedal - releasing the accelerator, applies the brake.

I only need to actually press the brake pedal, to apply the 'handbrake'. That is simply a matter of pressing the pedal down, then pushing a button/latch. With 'handbrake' on, you can get up of the seat, without the engine stopping.

Scratching what's left of the brain cell.......I think this machine was made around 2006 with manual transmission - so the brake pedal perhaps engages with some tiny brake pads on the transmission disc?
I just can't recall what it uses as a clutch though.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I just can't recall what it uses as a clutch though.

Mine just uses a small disc type brake, on the back axle shaft.

There is no clutch, the clutch action is via tightening the v-belt drive. A similar idea to the DAF Variomatic drive.

What mechanism operates the belt tensioner Harry?
Maybe the brake pedal, when up, tensions the belt and depressing the pedal releases the tension and applies the brake?
John

What mechanism operates the belt tensioner Harry?
Maybe the brake pedal, when up, tensions the belt and depressing the pedal releases the tension and applies the brake?
John

Pressing the accelerator tightens the belt, to cause it to drive. Engine speed, is entirely controlled by a lever on the dash.

It has three V-belts - 1 for driving the deck, via an actual PTO clutch, on the bottom end of the engine crank shaft. A second, which also runs from the crank shaft, then around two opposing pulleys, the angle of which is tightened by the accelerator, to act as the clutch, then onto the crude Variomatic V pulley, which drives the 3rd belt, which then drives the diff at the back.

It stops almost instantly, when the accelerator is released, I'm not sure how that works, but there is no need for the brake to be used, apart from to park it, and leave the engine running. It cannot easily be pushed, except when in N.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back