Mounting a standard convector radiator with no wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of knocking my kitchen/dining room together by taking out the plasterboard wall between them, which will be partially replaced with an 1800mm run of kitchen cupboards. The existing radiator is mounted to the plasterboard wall and the pipework is a bit inconvenient to route elsewhere.

What I want to do is put a new radiator at the back of the kitchen units, but I'm not confident that a trio of Ikea units will be a sturdy mount for a 1600x600 double rad.

My options seem to be -

1) Build a new half height wall at the back of the kitchen units to mount the radiator on.
Cons - I don't to encroach on the space in the dining room, my house is rather long and narrow as it is.
2) Sink two hefty fence-type 3x3 posts through the floor, face with a hunk of 18mm MDF and mount the rad on that.
Cons - If I put fence posts through the floor, aren't I going to mess with the building's damp course?
3) Use magic.
Cons - Will have to keep Paul Daniels on retainer.
4) Stelrad mention a Floor Mounting Bracket for their range of standard convector rads that appear to be just the thing.
Cons - Can't find anyone online who stocks it, let alone price or suitability for a big rad.

So which, in any, of these is the best option?

Sponsored Links
Cap off pipes and get a kickspace heater :LOL:

Sponsored Links
For the benefit of anyone else in this situation, I spoke to my local plumbing supplier who, after an initial look of bafflement from the young lad behind the desk, supplied me with a pair of these for the pricely sum of £15 each ex vat. They're supposed to go inside the convection fins of the radiator, and being German come with spacers, adjustment screws and detailed instructions measured in millimetres. The compatibility list is in German but they mention Vogel&Noot and Stelrad.
I haven't actually tried them out yet, but they look promising. Minimum floor height appears to be around 130mm , maximum is an overall (including radiator) height of 1.2m.
Ought to stand my 750mm high rad with its top just below the level of the 900mm worktop it will be behind :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back