Mounting a vice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been discussed before - I've done a search and can't find any threads with it mentioned.

OK, I'm a handyman and I need to have a temporary mount for my vice, which can be removed / retracted when not in use.

My vehicle is a Hilux pickup with Truckman top, so obviously I don't have doors like a transit, but a tailgate which drops down.

I'.d like to have the vice at the end of the tailgate when in use, but obviously not fixed through / to the tailgate as it'll get in the way when not being used.

The vice is a Stanley 6", identicle to the one I have on my bench - Big, wide opening jaws with a small anvil behind and pipe grips built in under the jaws ..... a fantastic useful piece of kit, if only I could mount it where I can use it

Saw a vice in an RAC van once which slid out on like a hollow section arm, but it looked home made (very clever though)

Suggestions please guys & gals :LOL:

Sponsored Links
would it be possible to bolt it to a board wich could then be clamped to the tail gate when needed with either G clamps or the quick release version

i would have thought that a workmate would be more sutable than a tailgate

if you start hammering or levering on a tail gate are you shure its up to it !!!!

A number of manufacturers make sliding beams for mounting vices, like this one.

You could make your own if you have the skills (and the patience). I agree with the others that the quick way to do this is to mount it on a board and clamp this to the tailgate, but if you're doing heavy work, or anything requiring precision, the movement of the tailgate would interfere with the work.

Another option might be to make or adapt a strong steel tripod to mount the vice; this allows you to work on uneven ground if necessary. Record, and Woden, used to make these. They came with a plate for the user to stand on to provide stability, and a tool tray under the vice. It looks as if they weighed a lot, too.

Sponsored Links
A number of manufacturers make sliding beams for mounting vices, like this one.

Thats what I was thinking of - thanks xerxes :LOL:

Not worth £ 222 !

Hollow section inside hollow section, 2 plates and a tightening screw or two ...... hmmm, must be all of £15 of steel and a couple hours work :)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back