Mounting door contacts onto beveled uPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting an alarm in my property (unfortunately this has been prompted by the fact I was burgled yesterday - GRR!). This is probably a really trivial question, but what is the best way to attach a door contact to a uPVC door with a beveled edge (which also sticks out a little bit from the frame)?

Or is the best bet to put a flush mounting one in, at which point do I need to cut a hole in my door / door frame?

Sponsored Links
surface, and screw it. (but do try it first with a meter to get the position right first time)

you may damage your door if you try to fit a flush one

I've done a bit of playing with a meter hooked up - it seems the bevel is large enough that I can't get the pieces close enough together to trigger reliably - should I try and rig something up where I screw in a thin piece of wood/plastic to the door, and mount the contact to that so it can get above the bevel, or is there another trick that might be easier or whatever?

i suspect it was the way you mounted it that was wrong.

try using a large dob (technical term, that) of blue tac to hold it while you connect your meter.

you are aware you should be using the ohms scale and looking for a resistance of around 1 ohm when the door is shut.

get it right and it does work, trust me

View media item 7003
this is my door (i know its old, needs atention) but look a the gap between contact and magnet, it works fine.

do also note they are level to each other

Sponsored Links
I can concur with Breezer on this one... Most mags will cope with a large gap as long as they are lined up together... I had to do this to get a mag contact working on both my shed and the back door, works perfectly and mines a crappy BT wireless system :p :LOL:

No. and you of all people should know better.
Its' a uPVC door, and despite what it looks like we do ocasionaly clean it, which involves a damp cloth (not wet) said damp cloth will and does make the cheapo screws change colour.

If it was a wooden external door I would agree with you, but as its uPVC it does not suffer from any moisture other than its ocasional wipe with a damp cloth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back