Mounting of metal cased sockets to metal Z bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am installing electrics in my garage currently not terminated/connected to my house for a qualified electrician to attend to test and certify.

My garage has horizontal metal Z bars which would be ideal for mounting sockets to, in face most of its constuction is metal. I want to use metal cased sockets - is there an issue mounding these directly to the metal structure (obviously each socket will be earthed via the casing earth strap)

zbar_0.jpg

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
I am installing electrics in my garage currently not terminated/connected to my house for a qualified electrician to attend to test and certify.
It doesn't work like that. Get an electrician first and ask him what he wants you to do that he will certify and notify.

My garage has horizontal metal Z bars which would be ideal for mounting sockets to, in face most of its constuction is metal. I want to use metal cased sockets - is there an issue mounding these directly to the metal structure (obviously each socket will be earthed via the casing earth strap)
I'm not sure how Z bars work but no issue fixing sockets to them.

If they are attached to a metal framed garage then a substantial bonding conductor to the house or local earthing might be required, which is why you should discuss with an electrician first.

Called purlins, and yes it's common to just drill them and fix sockets. Self drilling screws are handy for this BTW ;) A particularly neat method is to use a bushing through the back of the box and the purlin, and use the purlin as a cable tray - I've seen some plastic strip used as a cover in the past, I assume specific to the make of purlin.
As EFL says, may be some bonding needed, so speak to the electrician FIRST.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back