Mounting Punch bag on Conservatory Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am going to mount a new punch bag and bracket to a single brick Conservatory wall, the bag chains and bracket combined are about 120lb, Does anyone know if my wall can take that sort of weight (i think it can though) and what type of anchoring should i use for the bolts onto the wall, someone told me to use something cemex, any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you can best to use threaded stud bolt through the wall and a square washer with nut etc

duffgun said:
the bag chains and bracket combined are about 120lb.

don't forget the laws of physics.

the weight of the punchbag may be 120lb's at rest, but when it starts swinging its mass will increase rather a lot. ;)

Yeah, i was just wondering if anyone knew if that sort of weight is ok to hang from a normall wall, it will only be up for about 15mins at a time then the bag will be stored in my garage. I am currently hanging a 60lb bag up with no problems but that bag needed replacing.

Sponsored Links
sorry, the weight of the bag is 75lb the weight of the chains is 5lb and the weight of the bracket is 20lb.

i think i would be tempted to drill all the way through the wall (as masona says) and use some kind of spreader plate.

the brick work will be weaker the higher up the wall you fix.

thanks for the advice, i have weighed the bracket and in fact it only weighs 6lb so the combined weight is only 85lb, i will try and get the some good quality bolts.

i personaly would be very concerned about this idea

i am assuming theres a lot of leverage as the punch bag needs to be a distance from the wall to wallop it

have you not got an exterior wall of the house in the conservatory!!!!!!

cany you not install a beam between 2 solid walls!!!!

i simply don't know the answer and as said above spread the load is a good idea

i suspect cracks will apear shortly after you first start and as the bond progresivly breaks around assuming its a normal glass or plastic roof there won't be enough weight and whole section will fall in!!!!!!

anybody else thinking the same or am i misunderatanding the set up!!!

big-all said:

there won't be enough weight and whole section will fall in!!!!!!

read my post b.a., coz you've already read my mind. ;)

noseall said:
big-all said:

there won't be enough weight and whole section will fall in!!!!!!

read my post b.a., coz you've already read my mind. ;)

yes i did see both your posts noseal and indeed you where saying the same:D :D :D

it was just that duffgun hadn't noted your point off concern and nobody else seemed to react with any "concern" at the points you made
in other words i was agreeing with you but didn't link my comments to yours :D :D :D ;)

Hi thanks for all the advise, just to clear anythin up i have uploaded a few pics of the wall the current bracket i have up which is almost the same as the new one Iam going to fit and my new bag.
S4100010-1.jpg

S4100009.jpg

S4100008.jpg

[/img]

heeellooo duffgun :D:D:D

what weight was hung from the old bracket!!!!!

duffgun said:
hi, it was around 65lb

so the old and new are only around 15lb difference then!!!!

are they a different type will you be hitting the new one in a different manner!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back