Moved into a new house with a log burner - stupid questions

I think that even with that barrier you will find the TV will fail sooner than it should.
The ambient heat that the PCB's are subjected to will be far greater than it should so the electrolytic capacitors will dry out sooner, so when you come and try to turn it on and it fails do not think you need to throw it away and get a new one - just have it recapped with about a fivers worth of caps. a good time to learn how to solder :)

Sponsored Links
I think that even with that barrier you will find the TV will fail sooner than it should.
The ambient heat that the PCB's are subjected to will be far greater than it should so the electrolytic capacitors will dry out sooner, so when you come and try to turn it on and it fails do not think you need to throw it away and get a new one - just have it recapped with about a fivers worth of caps. a good time to learn how to solder :)
Interesting how electrolytic capacitors seem to be more prone to failure than just about any other electronic component. That raises the question, is this particular type of component crying out for the development of an improvement or alternative?

That raises the question, is this particular type of component crying out for the development of an improvement or alternative?
They're working on solid-state / dry versions. You can already buy solid polymer caps that do last longer, but they are very expensive.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
As above, its all down to cost, electrolytic caps can be made cheaply and in bulk - newer technology caps are just not there yet.

Sponsored Links
Well gents,

the chimney sweep has now been, he said it all looks good but did recommend getting a more modern stove and increasing the height of the chimney stack, but said it is safe and shouldn't cause any problems. The stove does seem to be much easier to light now and logs are completely turning to ash now.

thanks for the advise. I'm not sure on of those fans would work for me unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back