Moved into first home, wireless thermostat missing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Moved into my first home a few days ago and discovered quickly that the thermostat is missing. We have the ‘receiver’ (connected to boiler) but no adjustable thermostat.

I have pictured what is in the house, to turn the boiler on we have to use the override button.

Am I right in thinking I can buy either of the two screenshotted thermostats and programme either to work with the receiver? Just want to be sure before spending any money as pretty broke after buying my first home!
Also there’s a photo of the pair of them together.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1EA437DD-F09F-4E46-A12A-66C91D82E315.jpeg
    1EA437DD-F09F-4E46-A12A-66C91D82E315.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 109
  • B991C1AF-1CD7-4006-BC1F-D0A03396C071.jpeg
    B991C1AF-1CD7-4006-BC1F-D0A03396C071.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 0BD85729-3B21-4097-8600-4FD593CDD105.png
    0BD85729-3B21-4097-8600-4FD593CDD105.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Do you also have a separate central heating programmer which could be built into the front of the boiler? I think the Digistat SCR is just a wireless thermostat & receiver.

I assume you have asked the previous owners to return the thermostat as that would be the easiest bet.

you could also look at this for £20 all in for a simple thermostat

The complete Digistat 3RF can be found here. That allows you to programme from the roomstat

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Do you also have a separate central heating programmer which could be built into the front of the boiler? I think the Digistat SCR is just a wireless thermostat & receiver.

I assume you asked the previous owner to return the thermostat as that would be the easiest bet.

you could also look at this for £20 all in

Thanks for the reply, and the eBay link!

I have attached a photo of the front of the boiler.

The previous owner is either clueless or lying. He just said you have to keep pushing the override button every hour for the heating to work, which is less than ideal.
I haven’t found any other controls for heating etc.

If the thermostat and receivers are easy to wire up I’ll do it myself. Again thanks for the quick reply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 66
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you don't have an existing programmer which it seems you don't I would not recommend the £20 ebay choice as that will not allow you to specify on/off times. Given the £80 cost for a digistat 3RF with limited programming, perhaps you should look at Hive, Wiser or similar although a bit more expensive. Their Hub's would replace the existing SCR, give you a wireless thermostat & internet control.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you don't have an existing programmer which it seems you don't I would not recommend the £20 ebay choice as that will not allow you to specify on/off times. Given the £80 cost for a digistat 3RF with limited programming, perhaps you should look at Hive, Wiser or similar although a bit more expensive. Their Hub's would replace the existing SCR, give you a wireless thermostat & internet control.
Will look into that, thank you Ian!

The wiring for either Hive or Wiser is fairly straightforward in your case. I would advise you to check the existing connections before making any purchase.

It is important for your safety to ensure power to the SCR is isolated.

If you switch off the spur powering boiler/SCR, you should see a couple of screws under the SCR, loosen them and take the SCR off its backplate. Then hopefully you will see connections to L & N (which power the SCR) plus connections on 1 (common) & 3 (call for heat). A picture from your phone is ideal here as it eases any future issues. Then replace SCR on its backplate & power back up.

The combi versions for Hive & Wiser use a very similar backplate, with exactly the same connections as above. Straight swap using the identical named connections (L->L, N->N, 1->1 & 3->3).

Last edited:
The wiring for either Hive or Wiser is fairly straightforward in your case. I would advise you to check the existing connections before making any purchase.

It is important for your safety to ensure power to the SCR is isolated.

If you switch off the spur powering boiler/SCR, you should see a couple of screws under the SCR, loosen them and take the SCR off its backplate. Then hopefully you will see connections to L & N (which power the SCR) plus connections on 1 (common) & 3 (call for heat). A picture from your phone is ideal here as it eases any future issues. Then replace SCR on its backplate & power back up.

The combi versions for Hive & Wiser use a very similar backplate, with exactly the same connections as above. Straight swap using the identical named connections (L->L, N->N, 1->1 & 3->3).

Thanks for the info mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back