Moving a boiler into a Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Had some quotes to move my boiler into my airing cupboard as I would like a conservatory built and the Flue is in the way (terrace house so can't move it anywhere else)

I've been thinking would it be possible to put it into a conservatory? Its going to have 2 walls at either side as in a terrace, just windows at the back so plenty of space etc.

The problem is I wouldn't be able to use my boiler until the conservatory was built! In fact it would probably have to be removed completely.
The only reason I'm thinking to put it there instead now is its much easier to move it there rather then upstairs. Theres a problem with where my gas meter is and having to try and run a gas pipe from outside the porch up the outside of the house, under the floorboards and into the airing cupboard...

Would my only way round this being to try and find someone who could do my conservatory and fit a boiler at the same time? or try and work it so when they have build the walls get a boiler guy in? I don't know why but I only thought of this idea recently lol, so I will have to go back to the gas guys I had round for quotes and ask them, but just wondered if anyone has done this kind of thing before!

Sponsored Links
As you have already had quotes, did any of them suggest putting the boiler into the conservatory.
I have seen quite a few installs in conservatories, but these have been on detatched houses where, the plume from the flue condense does not cause a problem with the neighbours.

Without looking at the job it is hard to give concise advice on this situation.

What kind of boiler have you at the moment?

If you are changing to a combi from a standard boiler, then although you say there is an issue with running the gas pipe, the pros of putting the boiler in the a/c, are that the heating pipes and cold and hot pipes are all in that location.

I doubt that you will find someone that can do both the boiler change and the conservatory. If you do BE VERY WARY. Ask to see Gas safe card etc.

Hope this helps

Graham

Dear Clueless, before we get into the practicality of the boiler, there are two observations that come to mind:

Will the walls be built on or near your boundary to the neighbour?
If so, the boiler can't go there anyway

Not relevant to the boiler, but of great importance:
Often, we see conservatories stretching across the entire existing rear wall. Often this will enclose the kitchen windows and doors.

Before continuing with your conservatory plan, if it covers the kitchen door or windows, you really MUST seek guidance from an RGI with a cooker ticket. Please note that there are far more RGI's registered for boilers than cookers, so tread carefully.

You need to check with the local Building Control Dept if this will be allowed under Building Regulations.

A conservatory does not have to meet Building Regulations provided:

1. It is less than 30m² floor area

2. Existing walls/doors/windows are retained or replace by ones meeting current energy efficiency standards.

3. The heating system is not extended into the conservatory.

Although you may not be putting radiators into the conservatory, Building Control may say that just putting the Boiler there contravenes item 3. The conservatory would then have to meet Building Regulations in their entirety.

Building Control have the final say as to what happens, though there are appeal procedures up to the appropriate Secretary of State.

Sponsored Links
In order to be exempt from building regs consent, the conservatory must:

Have at least half the area of the walls formed as windows, doesn`t sound like that will be the case.

If you decide to put a radiator in there, you should tee off the primaries of the boiler, and have the extension on a seperate zone valve controlled by a room thermostat.

Personally I had an air source heat pump fitted when I did mine, gives the added benefit of air con in the summer time.

Have at least half the area of the walls formed as windows, doesn`t sound like that will be the case.
Not any more, the glazing rule no longer applies; it all changed in 2010 but very few seem to be aware of it read here;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278544

If you decide to put a radiator in there, you should tee off the primaries of the boiler, and have the extension on a seperate zone valve controlled by a room thermostat.
Unfortunately that’s also changed & you can no longer tee off the main heating system, it must be a totally independent heat source.

Not any more, the glazing rule no longer applies; it all changed in 2010 but very few seem to be aware of it read here;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278544

Unfortunately that’s also changed & you can no longer tee off the main heating system, it must be a totally independent heat source.

Is that right with regards to fitting heating in a conservatory? Don't suppose you have a link to the reg do you?

Or is that just if it's not going through building control? We usually fit UFH and a backup radiator, dependant on size.

Is that right with regards to fitting heating in a conservatory? Don't suppose you have a link to the reg do you?
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:19 am Post Subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately the revised (2010) Building Regulations now seem to specifically prohibit teeing off the main system even with independent isolation & controls;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL2B_2010.pdf
see clause 3.21 - 3.22

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=271969&highlight=#ixzz1SaiF9oUA

Or is that just if it's not going through building control? We usually fit UFH and a backup radiator, dependant on size.
See above, if the rad is an extension loop off the main system then that’s no longer acceptable. But what has going through LABC got to do with it, if a cons is exempt, you won’t be doing that anyway & it’s likely to get picked up until later & your customers will be well prissed. ;)

Dear Clueless, before we get into the practicality of the boiler, there are two observations that come to mind:

Will the walls be built on or near your boundary to the neighbour?
If so, the boiler can't go there anyway

Not relevant to the boiler, but of great importance:
Often, we see conservatories stretching across the entire existing rear wall. Often this will enclose the kitchen windows and doors.

Before continuing with your conservatory plan, if it covers the kitchen door or windows, you really MUST seek guidance from an RGI with a cooker ticket. Please note that there are far more RGI's registered for boilers than cookers, so tread carefully.

Miss chick, are you still there?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL2B_2010.pdf
see clause 3.2.
I think you mean 3.21 and 3.22. If the conservatory is not exempt then see 4.12 and 4.13.

But what has going through LABC got to do with it, if a cons is exempt, you won’t be doing that anyway & it’s likely to get picked up until later & your customers will be well prissed.
But a conservatory is only exempt if the house heating system has not been extended into the conservatory.

Customers may well get annoyed when they want to sell the house. Questions will be asked by the purchaser's solicitor about alterations and additions to the house and whether the necessary planning permissions and building regulations approval have been obtained. When you admit that you don't have them, the solicitor, if any good, will either insist that you get retrospective permission or advise his client to walk away from the purchase.

I think you mean 3.21 and 3.22. If the conservatory is not exempt then see 4.12 and 4.13.
Yes, of course; not sure how that happened, I cut & pasted from a post of mine on an old thread; on checking that was wrong as well.

But a conservatory is only exempt if the house heating system has not been extended into the conservatory.

Customers may well get annoyed when they want to sell the house. Questions will be asked by the purchaser's solicitor about alterations and additions to the house and whether the necessary planning permissions and building regulations approval have been obtained. When you admit that you don't have them, the solicitor, if any good, will either insist that you get retrospective permission or advise his client to walk away from the purchase.
Exactly my point with knobs on. ;)

I've just had a conservatory fitted and was going to put a rad in there tapped of the house system.
Does this mean I can't do this or I will need planning permission?
I don't intend on selling up. And will be insulating and plaster boarding over the wall that will have the pipes on.
Thanks.

I've just had a conservatory fitted and was going to put a rad in there tapped of the house system.
Does this mean I can't do this or I will need planning permission?
Planning Permission and Building Regs approval are completely different things.

Planning permission determines whether you allowed to build; Building Regs how it is constructed.

If your house has never been extended before, you will not need planning permission for a conservatory - provided you meet certain basic rules. See
Conservatories. (Click the "Conservatory" arrow at bottom of page to read on.)

As for Building Regs approval, it would appear from reading Approved Document L1B (see link earlier) that conservatories without heating do not have to meet current Building Regs; but those with heating do have to meet the requirements. The only person who can give you a definitive answer in your particular case is the local Building Control Officer.

Ok conservatory is all done so that's not an issue.
But I would need planning permission if I wanted to put radiators in there from the house system. Is that correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back