Moving a light switch - notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend (carpenter) has been asked to take down part of a stud wall at a local golf driving range.

As there is a light switch on this part of the wall he asked me if I would take a look, and possibly move the switch for him.

I'm an electrical engineer by trade, but am not part of any competent persons scheme, and only have 16th edition and some other BET domestic qualifications that I did a long, long time ago. I recently looked into becoming part of a competent persons scheme to have some private work to fall back on, but never pursued it as the costs seemed to high for it to be worth it (part-time).

Anyway, is this work notifiable? In a house I'd say no, but as this is non-domestic where would I stand?

Does the owner need to notify, and then have it checked by LABC, after I have moved the switch?

EDIT: Something I've just thought of, I 'think' the light switch is on the canteen side of the wall, which would be classed as a kitchen, and so notifiable?

I'm off to have a look at what he wants done in a minute, so will be clearer, but just wanted to put the question out there.

Sponsored Links
stephen, you're basing your reasoning on incomplete information..

if the clubhouse is has a permanent residence attatched to it, or shares it's electricity feed with one then it's notifiable..

for all you know there may be a greenskeeper cottage attatched to it..

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, after a little more reading it did become apparent that Part P would not apply unless, as said, it shared a supply with a domestic dwelling.

I had a look, and in actual fact, nothing needs moving. Only maybe some cabling re-routed within the void once the wall has been pulled down.

So, apart from BS7671, what else, if anything should you adhere to when working in a commercial building? Do you need to certificate?

As I work for a company as an electrical engineer where we maintain/modify our own machinery, and do occasional installation work (mostly done by a separate department), I don't have to do any specifci paperwork or testing, other than updating drawings, working to BS7671 (as any spark would), and general health & safety (guarding, safety circuits, etc).

If you are called in as a contractor for someone else, is it down to the company what quali's, paperwork, etc they would want? Is there any law on it?

The usual laws apply which cover people in the workplace such as the HASWA, EAWR, PUWER etc etc.
If you are competent to do the work, hold sufficient insurances and you follow BS7671 then all should be fine.
You can issue a Minor Works Certificate for the work.

if it's "in house" installation then it depends on who's in charge of the maintainence as to whether you have to fill in certificates.. you still have to test to make sure it's within the regs though, so you might as well..

if it's sub-contract for a different company then you most definitely have to fill in a test sheet etc.. if they choose to bin it once they have it then at least you have your copy to say it was done right and tested should the factory burn down and they try to blame you.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back