Moving a socket in a kitchen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I am getting a new boiler fitted in my kitchen rather soon and the engineer commented on the fact that the double socket underneath the boiler may need to be moved to make the installation of the new boiler easier.

The current socket which drops down directly from the ring in the ceiling due to the house having solid concrete floors(as far as i can work out as two 2.5mm T&E cables enter from the top of the socket rather than the bottom) the socket also has a spur running off from it to the left, the current ring main socket supplies power to the boiler and washing machine. I do have the option of using the spur as this is also a double socket to feed the boiler and the washing machine but that still leaves the problem of the socket underneath the boiler!

So my question is can i remove the socket altogether and blank it with a plate if so how can i still use the spur? or could i move the double ring main socket? The cables for the main socket run behind the boiler and up into the ceiling.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
How are the pipes entering the boiler ?
Even blanking the socket off I would still be concerned about the possibility of the cables being penetrated when the boiler and/or pipes are fixed.

That being said, would a blank plate still be able to be undone and it's connections checked with everything in place ?

Crimping is probably not possible due to there being 3 sets of cables.

The pipes enter the boiler from below. The boiler is knackered and so is the reasons for placing a socket below the boiler although think the boiler came second as the house originally had storage heaters and a water tank in the loft. It was built in the 1840's and i think the electrics were installed at the same time!

Will attach a photo to help explain my dilemma!
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
I'd replace the double socket with a junction box - a good plumber should be able to work around that. After all he's only got 8 pipes to connect.

Its no joke...been waiting 3 weeks for a new boiler to be fitted! Old house + No hot water or central heating = Frost bite!!

Will need to try and flush fit the junction box into the wall as much as possible which junction box would you recommend..."CHOCKBOX" or not and would i still be able to keep the spur that comes off from this after replacement?

Thought! ave a few.....

Would it be possible to use two junction boxes and then continue both wires to the spur double socket thus maintaining the ring but just extending it a bit to the left.

many thanks!

Thought! ave a few.....

Would it be possible to use two junction boxes and then continue both wires to the spur double socket thus maintaining the ring but just extending it a bit to the left.

many thanks!

If you extend both cables then you can crimp the wires (with a proper crimping tool) and put a blank plate over the old position and forget about it

Will need to try and flush fit the junction box into the wall as much as possible which junction box would you recommend..."CHOCKBOX" or not and would i still be able to keep the spur that comes off from this after replacement?

Honestly? If I was going to do anything with this socket I would convert it to a Single switched FCU - so that the plumber can use it to power the boiler. He's going to need to power it from somewhere so he might as well get it from there.

He should have no problem bending his pipes around a single FCU and still leave acces to it. Of the 8 pipes - 2 will probably go straight out through the wall to the blowoff pipe and condensing pipe - he should be able to fit six downward and still miss the socket.

I would put that proposal to him - burying the jb is not allowed because you must have access.

After crimping and then extending to the spured socket would i need to heatshrink or could i wrap with a good electrical bonding tape...or not necessary!

Could i spur off from a FCU or should i forget about the spur its just i need to power the washing machine as well asthe boiler or can i get a double FCU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back