Moving a upvc back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, :D
I'm moving my back door from the rear wall of my house to the side wall and I'd like to have it open outwards instead of inwards. If I fit the required sills etc, is there any other reason like fire escape regulations or unavoidable water ingress due to the design of the door/frame that won't allow me to do that ? I'm also replacing my kitchen window with french doors. These will be adjacent to my current back door position and opening outwards, so I will have a means of escape from the kitchen area with outward opening doors if that's a requirement.
All advice much appreciated.
Thanks,
P.J.

Sponsored Links
Opening out doors are BETTER for fire escape if you think about it. Have you never noticed 'proper' fire escapes, they have 'panic-bars' to open them and they ALWAYS open out.

But that's not a problem anyway, your problem will be that the rain may get in. The door has been designed to open in so all the weathering is constructed to that effect with drainage channels in the cill. Turn it all around and it may leak. How do you intend to replace the cill, these are usually 'welded' and cannot be removed (frame bottom rail, not the projecting cill)

Also the glass may be removeable from the outside now, depending on the glazing system used.

Thanks for the info, JerryD.
By the sill I mean the projecting bottom ledge that hangs over the brickwork (separate item to the door frame) and the rainbar type bits of trim that fit onto the face of the door with silicon.
Good point about the glass fit - I'll check that out.
I've seen another upvc door that opens outwards since my first post and that would have a similar construction to mine after i've turned it around. I guess I could just try it - not too big a job to turn it back round if I get problems.
Thanks again,
P.J.

Before you do that, check the locking system is correct. eg will you be able to lock it from the inside as some upvc door locks only operate on one side.

Sponsored Links
Masona,
Thanks for advice - the lock is fine from both sides.
If I switch it round, the door will close onto the outside side of the frame which will guide rainwater into the top of the door itself. I think if I fit a rain bar at the top of the frame to stop water sitting on top of the door it should be OK as water that hits the side of the door will run down to the same place as it does now.
Best regards,
P.J.

Also the problem with the door opening outwards will need more care if it's windy !

another good thought, masona - thanks :idea: - it's one to watch out for as it blows a hoolie down that side of the house - I plan a roofed utility area there so should be ok in the long term but I need to watch out for that once fitted.
Thanks again,
P.J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back