Moving/adding socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Next weekend I am embarking on starting to build a false wall for my new tele however I have a few questions to ask so that things can run as smoothly as possible.

I have done a lot of my own research about this project but I just wanted to clarify a few things.

Firstly the diagram:
C7ADC873-3AE3-4ADB-86DB-297A54AA8AAC_zpsbezuqpvk.jpg

As you can see the current 2 gang socket location is to the right of the wall. I am wishing to extend the current cabling to behind the false wall to hopeful add 3 x 2 gang sockets I am also wanting to put a 1 gang socket about a third of the way up.

Extending the original cable:

Now my three options I have considered are to-

1) remove the cabling from the socket and use a wagobox under the floor boards (I am aware hiding connections is a big no no but have been informed that this is acceptable as they do not need to be maintained although please correct me)

2) keep the original socket and extend the cabling from that although I do not want to overload the current circuitry.

3) cover the original socket with a blanking plate then extend the existing wire with a crimp connector (again have been told this is ok so long as it is accessible)

I know that all new cables run have to be in the 'safe zone'. Running new cables from fuse box is not ideal as the rest of the flat has just been decorated.

Adding additional sockets to the current circuitry:

Simple really. How many extra sockets can I add to the circuitry and would I have to do anything to the existing fuse board?

If there is any other information you require for you guys and gals to help with this please let me know.

Many thanks in advance

Si

Sponsored Links
Is the existing socket a ring, spur from a ring or a radial?,do you know where the existing cables run ?

Many thanks 'sureitsoff?' I shall put that on my investigation list as ideally I don't want to add anything else behind the DVD storage units. I should have added that in original post sorry.

How do I find out what type of circuit it is?

As far as I know the cables run from under the floor boards as there is nothing else near to the original socket (more investigation to follow next weekend hopefully) it is a 'new build' flat (15 years old)

Si

Sponsored Links
sounds like your breaking into the ring (presuming is a ring) and with those sockets ideally you should maintain the ring, you cant spur off a spur. how deep is the void at the back of the false wall? try to do the work before the wall is up thus ensuring cables running within permitted zones by clipping to wall.

Just on an aesthetic note -

Three double sockets in a row with six plugs and leads do not look as tidy as you may think compared to one extension lead run to the equipment.

Hi casamena,

I had heard that it was a ring circuit but how do I double check?

This space behind the wall will be between 2" and 4" inches. I am doing a lot of planning in this as I do NOT want to do anything wrong. I'm a competent DIYer but just like to make sure everything is safe and above board.
414B65D8-ED6A-4987-A947-975CEBFA85C7_zpsrdftcza1.jpg

This is a sketch of the false wall however I can add extra battening to accommodate the extra sockets.

Si

EDIT: Hi EFLImpudence,

In front of the false wall will be a cabinet with the sat box etc on. Also I was once told the extension leads aren't the safest way of doing things of course times change :)

panther100";p="2985835 said:
Hi casamena,

I had heard that it was a ring circuit but how do I double check?

at the cu you may see 2 cables going in a 32amp mcb ideally that would be the ring don't presume this though. A ring final continuity test would confirm this. dont attempt to do this.

How do I find out what type of circuit it is?
When you purchased the house were the installation documents left with you? As they should hopefully reveal that information!

Other than that the only sure way of identifying the circuit is by performing continuity tests on the circuit.
Just because the circuit has a device rated at 30/32A and two cable entering it, means bugger all!
You would also need to confirm the socket that you intend to use as feed socket, is not part of an unfused spur and actually part of the true ring.
It could be that it is a radial, where the requirement for unfused spurs, is different.
And also newly installed cable buried within walls at less that 50mm (includes reverse side) without mechanical protection, require RCD protection as does any newly installed socket outlet.
All this work will require testing off prior to commissioning and either a minor works or an electrical installation cert issued.

No disrespect, are you really competent enough to perform this task in compliance to BS7671?

No disrespect, are you really competent enough to perform this task in compliance to BS7671?

Hi, not disrespectful at all. I had assumed that the job I was intending to do wouldn't need signing off by a professional. This is why I'm on here as I do not want to do anything that I shouldn't really be doing. The job itself is simple enough labour wise. And I understand about tacking the wires to the joists and where the cables should run.

Si

I propose you arrange to have an electrician inspect/test and cert for you.
Have discussion with them prior to starting work, then once you are both happy that you can proceed, do first fix leaving at least one side of wall open and any cable routing area accessible for inspection, so cable route and installation method can be confirmed as being compliant, then you can close wall, do second fix and have electrician back to document the installation and commission it.
Until you know the circuit type you have and the configuration of it, you cannot really make plans.

I propose you arrange to have an electrician inspect/test and cert for you.
Have discussion with them prior to starting work, then once you are both happy that you can proceed, do first fix leaving at least one side of wall open and any cable routing area accessible for inspection, so cable route and installation method can be confirmed as being compliant, then you can close wall, do second fix and have electrician back to document the installation and commission it.
Until you know the circuit type you have and the configuration of it, you cannot really make plans.

Ok thank you. I will keep you all updated once I have progressed.

Please feel free to continue this thread as any other advice is always welcome

Si

Been doing a bit more investigation into this and from what I have been reading if you are adding extra sockets to a current ring circuit the work needs to be signed off by a professional so wouldn't be able to do the job anyway :)

Anybody know any decent sparkys in the Edinburgh area??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back