Moving Bathroom Extractor from Light Switch to Own Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Envirovent Sil100HT Humidistat Extractor in the bathroom with L N and Ls connections in the unit. It has its own isolator switch above the door but only seems to come on with the light switch.

I want to change it so that the fan can be controlled independently from the light switch or basically on all the time due to being humidistat.

There is currently a 2 gang switch in place and I have a spare 3 gang switch that I can use, can I do it that way to give it its own switch? or is there another way?

The 2 way connection is for another light in the room outside thats controlled by 2 switches.

1000004569.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just create a new loop in/out 3 plate rose in the radial circuit and wire up accordingly with its own switch.

I have a Envirovent Sil100HT Humidistat Extractor in the bathroom with L N and Ls connections in the unit. It has its own isolator switch above the door but only seems to come on with the light switch.
That is the usual way to work the fan.

Assuming it is wired correctly, it will also be operated by the humidistat.

I want to change it so that the fan can be controlled independently from the light switch
You mean "controlled independently from another switch".

You just need to connect the wire which at present goes to LS on the fan to the new switch and link a permanent live to the new switch.

or basically on all the time due to being humidistat.
Assuming it is wired normally that is how it would have been working with the humidistat.
If that was not the case the humidistat would never have caused the fan to operate.

If you don't want it to work with the light but only the humidistat then just disconnect the wire which at present goes to LS and terminate safely.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
@adzyp

I am getting a bit muddled.

That is of course if you are not now wanting a third switch; just working with the humidistat.
Thanks, yeah I don't really see the point in the third switch in this scenario, as I have the isolator above the door already to switch it off/back on if I ever need to for any reason

Thanks, yeah I don't really see the point in the third switch in this scenario, as I have the isolator above the door already to switch it off/back on if I ever need to for any reason
Ok, I think. The isolator will only turn it off permanently then back on with the humidistat.

Ok, I think. The isolator will only turn it off permanently then back on with the humidistat.
Yeah that's fine, ill see how we get on with it. As long as the humidistat is doing its job I shouldnt need to turn it on manually anyway

Actually thinking about this again, I think I will go down the 3 switch route as it may be useful to have the manual mode. So on the 3 gang switch I move the LS wire over to L1 on the 'new' switch? What about the other wire for perm live?

Actually thinking about this again, I think I will go down the 3 switch route as it may be useful to have the manual mode. So on the 3 gang switch I move the LS wire over to L1 on the 'new' switch? What about the other wire for perm live?
Just continue the link that connects the two existing switches.

1709905010896.png

It would be better to rearrange all those wires but if you are not sure which is which just add another link.

Ok so from COM on the 'existing' one to the 'L1' with LS in it on the new one or COM>COM?
Don't think so.

The wire which goes to LS on the fan - move it to L1 on the new switch.

A link wire from COM on the right hand switch in the picture to COM on the new switch.

That's all.

Don't think so.

The wire which goes to LS on the fan - move it to L1 on the new switch.

A link wire from COM on the right hand switch in the picture to COM on the new switch.

That's all.
Ok and the L wire on the fan still remains in its 'original' position back in one of the other switches or does that move too?

Ok and the L wire on the fan still remains in its 'original' position back in one of the other switches or does that move too?
Well, it can stay where it is - but if you are certain which one it is you could move it into COM with the link wire

Moving it would make the terminal it is in now less congested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back