Moving bathroom wall light - tiled wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change a bathroom light in zone 2, but rather than in the original position I want to have the new one 6 inches higher up (directly vertically above). It is a tiled wall, and where the old light was I want to hang a (larger) mirror and the new light just above the new mirror.

The big question is, how to relocate the cable upwards.

It is first floor bathroom with the loft above, so I would think the cable comes down from the loft, but I haven't been able to verify this yet, as the cable entry through the tiles is filled with silicone. What is the best way to remove the silicone without risking damaging the cable? Would silicone eater be safe?
If the cable did come from above, I hope I could drill, very carefully, a hole in the new position and hope to "fish" the cable. Any advice on this?

If this doesn't work and I need to work with the cable where it currently comes out of the tiles, I would need to run it upwards behind the new mirror, which sits rather flush on the wall. If the wall wasn't tiled, I would chase it in. Is there an easy way to do something similar with a tiled wall? As it will be covered by the mirror, it doesn't need to look beautiful, but I want it to be safe. In this case I probably would need to extend the cable by just a little bit. Is it okay to use a small junction box or something similar in the bathroom (zone 2 but covered by the mirror).

I attach a photo. I need to move the light about 1.5 tiles up.

Many thanks and sorry for so many questions at once.

Attachments

• WP_20170305_001.jpg
    WP_20170305_001.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 194
Sponsored Links
What is the best way to remove the silicone without risking damaging the cable?
Use thin nose pliers to grip parts of it and pull it away. Once a certain amount has been nibbled out, the bulk of it should pull away in one piece.

Would silicone eater be safe?
Unknown, but it is vile stuff and won't do what you expect anyway - it's designed for cleaning away small residues of silicone after you have mechanically removed 99% of it.
Not suitable for removing large quantities.

For locating the cable, drilling a small hole is likely to be doomed - even if exactly in the right place and you managed to drill the hole without causing cable damage, it will be very difficult to get the cable through it even assuming it is in conduit. If it's plastered in, no chance.

A better option would be removing the whole tile above the existing cable location and then chisel away the wall to locate a decent length of cable.
If the grout is scraped out from around the tile it is often possible to remove them in one piece, in this case using an old screwdriver or similar from the lower edge where the existing cable hole is should allow it to be prised away from the wall without damaging surrounding tiles.

Pop into the loft to see if there is a wire entering the top of the wall.

Whenever I have tiled a bathroom or kitchen I have always left the spare tiles under the sink/bath but they may be easy to replace

Would it be possible to run a new cable from the other side of the wall?

Sponsored Links
What is the construction of the wall behind the tiles? Studwork? Solid bricks? What is the other side of the wall?

Thanks all. The loft is unfortunately very difficult to access as the roof is low, the hatch by the outside wall and in front of the cold water tank, and no floor boards but the joists covered in insulation. So I had hoped to be able to avoid working up there. But I might need to have the bullet, for sure if a new cable is needed.
The wall is an internal block wall, so I could perhaps run a cable on the other side - if I can make it into the loft that is. Not easy at 6 foot...

If your going 6 inch higher anyway you could lose that tile, sometimes you can score out the grinding and pop them off

I finally had some time to have a go at that. As you suggested, I removed the tile to the top. It turns out the cable does come from the loft as I thought, but is in an oval conduit, of rather soft plastic. So I will need to carefully open the conduit up.
However, I still need to get a bit higher, and want the cable to come out in the bottom third of the tile above the removed tile. Any advice how to achieve this other than removing that tile as well, route the cable to the right spot, and then cut or drill the tile? If possible at all, I'd rather not remove that tile as most of it, and the surrounding grout lines, won't be covered by the mirror or the light I want to install.

I will need to carefully open the conduit up.
Pull the cable out of the conduit, then you won't need to rely on your care to avoid damaging it.

However, I still need to get a bit higher, and want the cable to come out in the bottom third of the tile above the removed tile. Any advice how to achieve this other than removing that tile as well, route the cable to the right spot, and then cut or drill the tile? If possible at all, I'd rather not remove that tile as most of it, and the surrounding grout lines, won't be covered by the mirror or the light I want to install.
When you replace the tile(s) you'll surely do the grouting, so why is that a problem?

Anyway - if I've understood you correctly, then once you've pulled the cable out you'll be able to safely drill a hole in the tile through into the conduit.

Pull the cable out of the conduit, then you won't need to rely on your care to avoid damaging it.

When you replace the tile(s) you'll surely do the grouting, so why is that a problem?

Anyway - if I've understood you correctly, then once you've pulled the cable out you'll be able to safely drill a hole in the tile through into the conduit.

The problem isn't the grouting as such, but that the grout rake damaged the tiles a little bit.

I am at the moment not able to pull the cable out of the conduit, as I can't get to the other end easily. Access to the loft is very difficult.
Had there not been the conduit I still had hoped I could have drilled the tile about two fingers above where I have access to the cable and then somehow pulled it in. But I guess that is hopeless.
Is there any trick to cut a corner out of a tile in situ?

If not, then guess I either need to get to the loft or remove the tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back