Moving Cooker Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move my cooker switch by about 1 foot in order to create space to fit a cooker hood.

The existing switch cabling is buried into the wall and is protected by steel tube ducting.

My question is: Can I use armoured cabling (10mm thick which will be buried into the wall of course) for the 1 foot extension and just connect it to the existing cabling/steel ducting?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
How are you intending to connect the armoured cable to the steel conduit and the existing wires?

How are you intending to connect the armoured cable to the steel conduit and the existing wires?

I was planning on feeding the armoured cable into the existing armoured ducting as far back as the nearest steel junction box. Then either solder the live and neutrals together or use a terminal connector. The earth on the armoured cable would also be connected to the earth terminal within the steel junction box.

Would that be a safe idea?

Sponsored Links
Is the existing tube metric 20 mm circular conduit? Or is it the older imperial conduit? Or is it oval?

How many wires inside tube?

Soldering is a bit of a no-no as far as ive been aware.

However I understand it is considered that where needed its acceptable to join a wire with terminal block and plaster over smooth. Not ideal, expcially where the run is then not straight or directly above/below the fitting but proberbly they best option here. I would just use the equiv sized Twin+Earth rather than SWA.

Daniel

No its not.
Joining cables in a wall, or soldering?

I presume the former, and if you can get the cable up the conduit as far as the ceiling void then so much the better, but if have seen registered professionals do worse...

Soldering is a bit of a no-no as far as ive been aware.

However I understand it is considered that where needed its acceptable to join a wire with terminal block and plaster over smooth. Not ideal, expcially where the run is then not straight or directly above/below the fitting but proberbly they best option here. I would just use the equiv sized Twin+Earth rather than SWA.

Daniel
You can not bury joints like that in the walls, it does not conform to BS7671 as a secure and safe method.
The best method here would be to completely replace that run of cable and route it in a permitted safe zone. I doubt 10mm SWA is going to feed through the metal conduit they have in place.

Can I use armoured cabling (10mm thick
Not sure you can get SWA that small - what would it be - 1mm² 2-core? Not suitable for a cooker circuit, that's for sure.

The earth on the armoured cable would also be connected to the earth terminal within the steel junction box.
You've never actually worked with armoured cable, have you. There's no way you could do what you describe with the armour.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:swa-gland

By the sounds of it you should either re-route the entire cable, or get an electrician to run a short length of conduit from the old switch box to the new location.

[EDIT]Broken links fixed[/EDIT]

BAS on the group of 4 links only the first works.

Noticed this before, just to let you know.

Thanks for that. IET links fixed. IMO website organisers who break links should have their willies cut off and buried below low-tide line.

The Wayback archive link works for me....

t305912.jpg

Try clicking the "Impatient?" button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back