Moving electrical sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im renewing my kitchen and need to move a couple of sockets.

The first socket i need to move needs moving 10inches to the left of its original position. Thee wires enter the socket from directly above and there is no slack wire.

Is it ok to joine a length of wire to the existing wire using 30amp connectr block which would then be taped up and sunk into the wall with the wire then running horizontally across the wall from the old position to new position??

the secound socket i have needs to be moved approx 1m down the wall from its original position. again can i just add a length of wire (2.5mm) and connect via a connector block??

i f i cant do this guys, can you tell me how it needs to be done

many thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Im renewing my kitchen and need to move a couple of sockets.

The first socket i need to move needs moving 10inches to the left of its original position. Thee wires enter the socket from directly above and there is no slack wire.

Is it ok to joine a length of wire to the existing wire using 30amp connectr block which would then be taped up and sunk into the wall with the wire then running horizontally across the wall from the old position to new position??
No it will be outside the safe zone and you cannot have inacessible junction boxes.

the secound socket i have needs to be moved approx 1m down the wall from its original position. again can i just add a length of wire (2.5mm) and connect via a connector block??
No if you are going to use a connector block because of the same reason above.

i f i cant do this guys, can you tell me how it needs to be done

many thanx in advance
For your first plan - you could put a blank face plate on the wall in place of the socket or just run a spur from the existing socket - provided it is within the rules to do so.
For your second plan - the same applies. Best idea would be to trace cable back to previous socket and run complete cable through to the new socket position.
Alternatively you could extend the wires by crimping them - using only a proper crimping tool. Though there are some here that suggest this is not the best method.
Any new cable not buried below the surface by 50mm or mechanically protected must be additionally protected by an RCD - and we start to get into Part P.

If you want to use connector blocks to extend the wiring, you'll have to leave the old boxes where they are & put blank plates over the top, so it remains accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back