Moving a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Just looking for a bit of advice on moving a socket. In my hallway there was a 2m x 1m recess in which I have built a partition wall across to create a walk in cupboard. At the back of the recess is a double socket which I would like to move on to the front of the new partition wall.

What would be the best method? To extend the two 2.5mm cables with connecting block and put a blanking plate on the original box? Or spur a new socket from the original?

The blanking plate would be accessible but wouldn't be a good location to keep as a socket. Also this is the only one in the hallway.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Kev

Sponsored Links
It would be preferable to extend the ring using two cables, rather than spur.

Note you will need 2 x 3-way connecting block to extend each cable separately.

Hi, I have done the same thing a few years ago. I assume the socket box is recessed?
I took a spur off to a new switch.
I removed the switch plate & box and terminated the cables ( you will have 2 reds, 2 blacks & 2 earths?) in a junction box which stayed on the wall inside. The new switch box was fitted into the wall & the cables routed through cable trunking to the junction box.
The old socket position was filled up with a piece of plaster board and skimmed.
regards keith

Hi, I have done the same thing a few years ago. I assume the socket box is recessed?
I took a spur off to a new switch.
I removed the switch plate & box and terminated the cables ( you will have 2 reds, 2 blacks & 2 earths?) in a junction box which stayed on the wall inside. The new switch box was fitted into the wall & the cables routed through cable trunking to the junction box.
The old socket position was filled up with a piece of plaster board and skimmed.
regards keith

Don't do this as screwed joints must be accessible. You could do this and then use a blanking plate on the existing back box instead which will remain with the regs. (You can get flush fit blanking plates as well).

Sponsored Links
Thanks Eddieed.
By screwed joints do you mean the terminals in the junction box?
Incidently it was a friend of mine (who was a contracting lecky with more qualifications than i would ever have), who suggested the job.
Possibly the rules have changed as it was 15 years ago! thanks for your replies folks, regards keith.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back