Moving socket

Crimping is the other means of connecting cables that doesn't have to be accessible, but to create a spur, you'd need 'Y' crimps, which I don't think are all that easy to find.
The way I avoid "Y" crimps is to extend both cables indivuidually (extend the ring).
There's always, of course, solid cores should not be crimped.

Ha ha, here we go.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi all

I get on really well with crimps. I've used them in work for the last 15 years but only recently stated using them domestically. As long as you make sure there is no movement once crimpped and they are fully insulated then I'd say crimps everytime in the case.

Regards

I did something in my house the other day and there was very slight movement so I snipped it off and re-did it.
That's what concerns me about crimping, particularly in the hands of those who aren't very experienced. The 'slight movement' phenomenon is far from unknown, so getting a satsfactory joint is totally dependent on the operator successfully detecting what may be only very slight movement - and, if found, then re-doing it, as you did.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John

Id say any movement at all would be unacceptable. Ive been trained on aircraft so everything we do has to be solid as its going to be subject to a lot of vibration. But apllying that to a house i suppose we cant go far wrong

Id say any movement at all would be unacceptable.
So would I. the problem as I see it is that those movements when one tugs on an imperfect crimped joint can be barely perceptible - which has to make one wonder how many have a degree of movement too slight to be perceptible by human hands, particularly 'inexperienced' ones.

Kind Regards, John

Ive been trained on aircraft so everything we do has to be solid
Does that include the cores to be crimped?

Do you mean the centre cores of the wires? if so then yes. Thats all we do crimp then heat shrink over. That can be a really pain in the arse if you forget to put the heat shrink on before you splice. I learnt the hard way :)

Just to be clear, you mean all the wires have solid cores.
\

Non of the wires we use are solid cores. I know the crimps work better on multi stranded wire but you can still get a good crimp connection with solid core. Just double check.

Just to be clear, you mean all the wires have solid cores.
Non of the wires we use are solid cores. I know the crimps work better on multi stranded wire but you can still get a good crimp connection with solid core. Just double check.
To "let you out of your misery", I think what EFLI is getting at (or working up to) is that some people have been taught (as, in fact, once was I) that crimps should not be used on solid-core conductors and, in particular that, if you look back through some of the endless forum threads on this topic, you'll see that there is a NASA manual knocking around which seems to forbid the use of crimps on solid conductors. - but, there again, NASA presumably have to worry about even more vibration than is encountered in aircraft!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back