Moving socket

Sponsored Links
AIUI solder and crimp connections are allowed to be in any box that satisfies the general requirements for an electrical enclosure while maintenance free spring terminals are only considered to be mtaininance free when part of an approved maintenance free junction box.

I agree it's inconsistent as heck but that seems to be the way things are.

AIUI solder and crimp connections are allowed to be in any box that satisfies the general requirements for an electrical enclosure while maintenance free spring terminals are only considered to be mtaininance free when part of an approved maintenance free junction box. I agree it's inconsistent as heck but that seems to be the way things are.
Yes, that's correct - and, as you say, not necessarily consistent with common sense. Specifically, 526.3(iv) allows joints made by welding, soldering or brazing or made by 'an appropriate compression tool' (i.e. crimping) to be 'inaccessible', without any specific qualifications about required enclosures etc. 526.3(vi) allows maintenence-free JBs to BS5733 (and marked 'MF') to be inaccessible. To the best of my knowledge, the only currently available arrangements which satisfy BS5733 are the Hager/Ashley MF JBs and (with certain conditions) Wago connectors within a Wagobox; as you say, Wago connectors alone are not compliant as MF connectors.

Kind Regards, John

Wagos don't have to be in a Wagobox. You can use any suitable enclosure, but the Wagobox is a neat option.
Wago and Wagobox are made by different companies and I recall the connectors being around for a while before the box.

Sponsored Links
Wagos don't have to be in a Wagobox. You can use any suitable enclosure, but the Wagobox is a neat option. Wago and Wagobox are made by different companies and I recall the connectors being around for a while before the box.
I don't think anyone is saying that Wagos have to be in a Wagobox. I am certainly not - I've used countless Wagos, and very rarely have used Wagoboxes.

However, what is being said (because it's true) is that Wago connectors which are not in a Wagobox do not satisfy the requirements of 526.3 for joints which do not have to be accessible.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back