Moving gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First off, I don't intend to do any work on gas stuff myself. It will all be done by the appropriate people - registered plumbers or the DNO as appropriate.

I need my gas meter moved.

The currently arrangement is that the metal (steel?) pipe comes through the front wall of my cellar (about 2ft below ground / 4ft above the cellar floor), along the wall about 2m in a straight line, through no obstructions, goes into a shiny flexy pipe with a valve, then into the meter.

The perfect solution for me would be to have the meter moved about 1.5m towards the wall - i.e. remove 1.5m of metal pipe and put the meter there. Exactly the same height as it's at now, just literally cut off 1.5m of pipe. Really really simple - no hacking holes, no rerouting pipes. That would be, for me, the perfect location. Easily accessible but not in the way.

I had SGN out to quote and the guy immediately said they can't connect to that metal pipe. Solution: fit a new (outdoor) meter housing about 3m along from the old point of entry (only place it can go), dig up the drive, divert pipe (join onto old one, I presume), get new meter (old one's not suitable), pipe from there into house about 3m from where it needs to be (and the wrong side of a wall), load of internal plumbing to get the new gas pipe to where the old one was.

Problems with this are:
1. I'll need a load of pipes routed around inside, which is a pain.
2. I'll need to get SGN to move their pipe and install new box, British Gas to replace the meter, and my plumber to do all the indoor routing, on the same day, or have no gas. That's almost certianly not going to happen.
3. It's £600 just for SGN. So, what, £1000+ total I expect.

The meter needs to move, and if I have to go through the above then...well...I have to do it. But really - the PERFECT solution for me would be to move it 1.5m back down the pipe it currently is. It just seems like a lot of time and hassle and expense and extra pipework, when the perfect solution is just so so simple.

Does anybody know why they can't connect to this metal pipe? Why can they connect it outside and not inside? Is there a way I can get around this? I don't want to do anything "naughty" - I want a nice safe, legal way around it. For example could they push a plastic pipe down the middle of the metal one - something like that? A company other than SGN who perhaps will see things differently?

I presume the metal pipe is their pipe. Is there something I can say which will get them to replace that with a pipe which CAN be joined?

Another solution - if they're digging up the drive anyway - and if for some reason I can't think of it's only possible to join to metal pipe outside - would be to connect the new (plastic?) pipe there, and route it back into the same hole the old one came out of. Same meter, perfect location, no new holes. And EVEN IF they charge the same amount for that, it's a better solution from my point of view.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
The issue is simple....anything before the meter 'belongs' to the supplier so anywork will need their approval and authorised work teams (i guess). Meters can no longer be in side properties when they get relocated (unsure if cellars apply) others on here will confirm. The steel connection could in theory be made but via a screw thread and that isn't that simple. Sorry, no easy solution i think

Depending on the size of the existing steel service, common practice when installing new services is to insert the new plastic service through the old steel pipe.

They even pull (well push...) new mains through the old iron pipes to save on excavation and costs. All they need is a pit either end to insert the new pipe, (butt welded in one continuous length), and recieve it at far end, then excavate where appropriate to reconnect services and any branches.

The steel service can be cut either end to suit, saves a lot of digging. Ask them why an 'insertion' is not appropriate and see what they say. It may not be possible to terminate the new service inside the cellar, but the steel could be located and cutback outside at new meter position. If they will do this then could save you some expense.....

Thanks for the replies, Hugh and Powell.
The steel service can be cut either end to suit, saves a lot of digging. [..] It may not be possible to terminate the new service inside the cellar, but the steel could be located and cutback outside at new meter position. If they will do this then could save you some expense.....
I expect that's what they're intending to do, more or less. (The new meter position is about 2m away from the nearest part of the existing steel pipe, so they're going to be excavating along to the new location, but that's not my concern really.)

But if they can pull/push a plastic pipe into the old metal pipe, why not all the way into the cellar?! They could cut if off just inside the wall, push the pipe through - no excavation needed that end. Lovely. I'd rather pay them the £600 to do that in 20 minutes than £600 to spend a day digging up my driveway and putting the meter somewhere I don't want it.

What would they do if the metal pipe in the cellar were damaged? Would they not do just that?!

Ta,
M.

Sponsored Links
What would they do if the metal pipe in the cellar were damaged? Would they not do just that?!
Quite probably, they wont want to do anything more than they have to at their expense!!! I've been arguing for ages about getting my gas service sorted out, long length of unsupported steel, hanging on the lead pipe from governor to meter. Even the Guy who came to fix a leak, (they changed meter and didnt tighten outlet connection properly....), said the governor is older than him! But, they wont do anything with the service til it starts leaking.....

They even pull (well push...) new mains through the old iron pipes to save on excavation and costs. All they need is a pit either end to insert the new pipe, (butt welded in one continuous length), and recieve it at far end, then excavate where appropriate to reconnect services and any branches.

been to one of them

great fun trying to get the gas rate for a combi

I always have wondered if there are problems with gas supply after new pipes have been installed. I would assume reducing the size of a service would restrict the gas flow into the premises from its previous ability through a bigger pipe.

Still, no doubt its easier (and cost effective) for National Grid to do it this way, just leaves the engineer at the boiler to pick up the pieces and the consumer his bill.....

Half hoping my service will spring a leak, they'll have to resite the meter in the porch then I think. I would like to get the supply rerouted through the house before I get a new carpet fitted, but cant really afford to pay them to move the damn service.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back