Moving my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Am moving my boiler into the shed.
I assume ill need to drain the system??...the reason im concerned is that one or 2 of the bleed valves on the radiators are defunct (rounded cant be shifted and ive tried everyhting!) and if i let air get into them i wont be able to bleed them again...anyway around moving my boiler without upsetting the rads?...if i close the valves bothe sides of each rad would that suffice?
The system could use a good drain and washout...ill do that once i get around to replacing the one or 2 dodgy rads.
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Are you serious? :?:

Nah! You can't be.

As for the bleed valves - drill them out and replace with new.

i take it your bleeds are on the back of the rad as these type always round off no point drilling them out as you won`t get a bleed nipple that size . new rad req,, but if you do drain boiler there is a good chance if you turn rad off it will not get air into it when you refill system and bleed from rads you can

Post us a photo of the boiler in the shed when its finished. Might be able to win myself a new cordless drill or pair of work pants from the 'I spy' page in Gas Installer Mag! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Àbsolutely im serious!!
Why the hell not......its only a boiler...ill post a pic but it wont win your competition as im in Ireland!!...also who said it was gas??...maybe its oil?

Spot on namsag the rads have the nipples on the back and i drilled one out before but there just was not enough metal around it to take a larger thread....got it fixed up though but its stuck now so yeah id say ill need a new rad there once it drains..

Anyway had a think about it last night and what i think might work is this.
Lock up all the rad valves.
Move bolier
Bleed system via one of the good rads upstairs.
startup system but only open up the rads that i know i can bleed.
Bleed again...let the system cool and bleed again while no pump running.
Open up the other rads and by then fingers and toes crossed most of the air will have been displaced.

Ill have to change a few rads in a few months but i dont have the cash to replace them with good quality rads @ the minute.
Cheers,
Marty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back