Moving Supply (DNO)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Well as ive now only just thought to measure up under my stairs I can see that no current CU is going to fit under there. The space is about 25cm which is turbo gash. Anyway ive made the decision to move the supply (not me personally but get it moved) How would I go about it and what is a ball park figure that I could be paying? I know some can try and charge a fortune but ill play the companies off each other and switch suppliers if I have to. I think im with British gas but the wife deals with all that so not 100%.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What are wanting to move and distance of this, plus the route method, will come in to consideration concerning price.
The DNO will need to be contacted regarding any supply and metering moves, and an independent electrician will be needed for the consumer side connection.
There are number of variables, so to give you price would be impossible, first contacts I would suggest be, DNO and registered electrician.

Cheers Derry

Ive just been reading other threads on here and it looks like im going to have to give the DNO a ring but where it is at the minute (under the stairs) isn't that safe either so I might try and pull that card too. Everything is easily reachable if the dog fancied a dare. Plus ive got kids and one of the fuse covers has a crack in it. (80 year old house and the consumer unit looks just as old) I uploaded photos ages ago about another topic so feel free to have a gander at those.

regards

Having the meter accessible for the meter reader without him or her having to enter the property is seen as a big benefit to those involved in supplying power to domestic properties so use that in discussions about costs.

Sponsored Links
I would ideally want the CU moving into my porch and Meter external somewhere and judging where the supply comes in at the minute, id say it must pass the porch to get under the stairs. Would this also mean id have to pay for a total re-wire or could the existing circuits just be extended (crimping) to reach the new location? Also where do you find out where exactly the cable runs outside of your house?

Hi Bernard.

Thanks for your reply. I never thought that would be an advantage but thinking about it now... How often should the meter get read? As im in the military and away a lot at the moment so that could be a massive influence when discussing price.

The route to your meter may be from an adjacent house and not direct from the street main. It is not un--common to find a pair of houses supplied by a single service cable from the street main. The service main surfaces in one house and cables from that cut out go through the wall to the other house.

How would I go about it and what is a ball park figure that I could be paying? I know some can try and charge a fortune but ill play the companies off each other and switch suppliers if I have to.
I'm afraid that wouldn't work. No matter who your 'supplier' (the company you choose to pay for your electricity) may be, the DNO (the only people who could move your supply) would remain the same - and it's they would would dictate what it would cost you.

Are you really sure that you need to have the supply moved (which is bound to cost a fair bit) - the reasons you mention don't sound too compelling. (the broken fuse cover could, and should, obviously be repaired).

Kind Regards, John

Providing your existing installation is safe for continued service, there would be need for re-wire. There are a number of methods that can be used to joint cables, it could also be possible to replace the first run of the circuits, to the first accessory it supplies.

I never thought that would be an advantage but thinking about it now... How often should the meter get read? As im in the military and away a lot at the moment so that could be a massive influence when discussing price.
I think that most companies are now doing it only once every six months. If, as is likely, there are other houses in the vicinity that the meter reader has to visit, the marginal saving in cost for them would be pretty negligible. Also, they all seem to believe (correctly or not!) that the changes in technology mean that they will 'soon' not have to use meter readers at all, since it will all be done 'remotely'!

In any event, I don't really see why a DNO's charges should be influenced by consdieration of meter reading costs, since that's undertaken by an entirely different company.

Kind Regards, John

I don't really see why a DNO's charges should be influenced by consdieration of meter reading costs,
I was basing that my experience with my new supply. Meter should have been inside ( Listed building, no new external meter boxes ) It was cost effective to move the gas meter down to a new semi-concealed and replace the old box with a flush box for an externally readable electric meter. It might have been installing the cut out and meter externally was less work and thus lower cost for the DNO. But it was said that externally accessible cutouts and meters were very much the prefered option. Much harder for dubious horticulturists to covertly by-pass the meter

But it was said that externally accessible cutouts and meters were very much the prefered option. Much harder for dubious horticulturists to covertly by-pass the meter
That I can believe. However, as you will understand, my point was that I don't understand why DNOs should be interested in, or influenced by, arguments relating to meter reading costs - which really are nothing to do with them.

Kind Regards, John

Depending in the layout, it might not be necessary to move the meter itself. Your electrician can install a new CU somewhere else, and extend the supply from the meter to there - it'll most likely require a fuse near the meter unless the long tails are actually fairly short.

And subject to the cables/circuits being OK, then they can be extended to reach the new CU. In some cases (again, all situation specific) it may be possible to replace some of the cables rather than join/extend them. Eg, if a lighting circuit supply goes to a ceiling rose that is accessible, it may be better to replace the cable (ie run a new cable without join) from the new CU to the ceiling rose and eliminate a need for a joint in that circuit.

There's going to be some notifiable work, and definitely work that needs a competent person to do it, so I'd suggest you discuss the matter with your chosen electrician if you have one - and if you don't then it's time to get to know one.

Hi Simon

I just had a light bulb moment and was about to ask what everyone thought on here but I think you've beat me too it.

I thought about leaving the supply and the meter under the stairs then extending meter tails (replacing) to the new CU location. I was also thinking maybe a 2pole isolator under the stairs after the meter then from there to a new CU location.
What's the max distance that you could safely move the consumer unit? I was thinking if I don't need to move the supply I could possibly get the CU into a cupboard. (They call them larder cupboards here down south but I'd call it a pantry) then it's out of the way and I have easy access under the hall floorboards.
I do have a registered sparky on alert 5 but I'm trying to plan everything and do as much as I can myself. I'm in the process of getting my quals so I'd probably help him anyway.

The distance apart is dictated by the length of the cables between the meter and the CU, this is usually no more than 3m

You could fit an 80A switch fuse (much smaller than a CU) by the meter which would mean there is no distance requirement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back