moving the shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am revising the layout in my bathroom
the electric shower may need to go to another wall
at present it is on an interior stud wall and comes via the void

the wall where i want it to go is an outside wall...the other side actually is the garage and where the house electric boxes are the house fusebox/the shower fusebox/the conservatory fusebox.
the existing supply goes from the garage fusebox up and into the loft

its a bungalow and i can see the existing cable run over the loft and down to the ceiling mounted isolator

will it be necessary to have the wall chased for the cable...as it is already been tiled
can the cable be surface mounted in a duct or is this too dangerous?

ditto for the water.
but i can post it on the plumbing section

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
There's nothing to stop you surface mounting the cable, it'll look rough though. Conduit is a option or ideally just remove the tiles chase out and replace with some replacements

Sponsored Links
or have it come through from the garage.
Thanks both
I just bought an sds mains hammer chisel, Titan from screwfix, to rip up the floor tiling so I feel I will be able to tackle any one of those ideas after getting practice with it.
Cheers
Geof

I have found a run for the shower cable via mrs crow's pantry..
I mean to get some tomorrow 10mm
I see also it comes stranded, is that the normal?.

As already mentioned you can surface mount both cable and water on the reverse side of the bathroom wall (within garage).
If you are chasing cable into walls, the permitted safe zones or safe installation methods/routes most be used.
If you are using copper pipe for the water supply, when this comes in contact with walls containing lime/limestone, you would need to protect that part of the pipe from corrosion.

It would possible be a grey area whether this is considered a new circuit, if you are changing the characteristics of it, I would say it is.
New circuits require notifications to building controls
You will also need RCD protection for the circuit.

As already mentioned you can surface mount both cable and water on the reverse side of the bathroom wall (within garage).
If you are chasing cable into walls, the permitted safe zones or safe installation methods/routes most be used.
If you are using copper pipe for the water supply, when this comes in contact with walls containing lime/limestone, you would need to protect that part of the pipe from corrosion.

It would possible be a grey area whether this is considered a new circuit, if you are changing the characteristics of it, I would say it is.
New circuits require notifications to building controls
You will also need RCD protection for the circuit.

I am rerouting the switched cable to the new position of an existing shower
I have found a route almost the same as the old route, about 2 metres further across the loft..it's a bungalow and then dropping into a voided wall. Stud, so luckily I have avoided the earlier proposal
The supply is the same dedicated unit and has RCD protection
Cheers
Geof

Would the cable drop, still be withing permitted safe zones?

the zone is between the pantry and the bathroom....
the zone at present is between the hallway and the bathroom..
they are of the same construction and air can pass easily in the voids, no insulation being required in the inner structures nor metal used in construction other than nails and as i have told you the supply to the shower has a discrete RCD in a dedicated fuse box in the garage.
the pantry is well ventilated and the cable in the loft is in air and not under any insulation and has been since the existing shower was installed. but i dont know the date however the house was built in 1987 but the electric shower is fairly new, i would guess 4-5 years by the manufacturer and model number

the cable to the electric shower will traverse the loft area in air and descend into the void in the pantry wall and within the blue zone, exactly in the same way the cable is proposed in the changed but in a different geographical location in the room and strategically in the same reference position as the existing.
if i have any difficulties with the proposed route and am in any doubt i will come back to check with you
cheers
geof

rcd-protection.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back