moving the shower

i say...i wasnt talking to you...clever clogs
what i assume is that a stranded cable is easier to bend into position. that is from a mechanical viewpoint that a solid bar is more stressed difficult to bending than several smaller bars since the bending force is shared by more flexible strands
i have found it hard to get single strand cables in a mains socket to bend easily along with the other single strand in a ring main
why are they solid when other applications are stranded...for the same area...
cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
why are they solid when other applications are stranded...for the same area...
cheers
geof

Interesting question which I can't answer. They were stranded until the late 60s when metric solid cables were introduced. At the time electricians complained but they were not listened to.

Interesting question which I can't answer. They were stranded until the late 60s when metric solid cables were introduced. At the time electricians complained but they were not listened to.

well if my memory serves me...and i have had lots of lekky chat over the years here
stranded may get twisted and the stress of that can cause a strand to either crack or fracture so that you lose some area in specific places...hot spots maybe
the solid bar if it does break for whatever reason you lose all the area...ie dead cable
but
i get on with the solid ones...it is murder trying to get two stranded cables into a terminal as i found out when i did downlighters in my bungalow and found lying on my gut over a loft joist a bit sore after a while even with my smart guy lamp on my head couldnt get all the strands in...yes they were twisted etc as smart as i could..but found out that is not on either...dont twist
so i go with the flow...if the cable i am supposed to use for safety is a bugger then its better that way
and that is why i was a bit amused to see the 10mm stranded...until i remembered how hard it is to bend larger wires into small spaces...as in a shower...
cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
Cheaper to make?

Kind Regards, John

that sounds more like it..and not so hard to slip into the sleeving...
also soldering comes into it...you can't get a good surface contact with solid...most of my guitars used stranded on the pots...and some of them got left out..or worked loose but the majority did the job
coiling a cable is a suggestion and the subsequent ability to run cables in smaller radii without stressing the outer fibres of the solid cores

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back