Moving wooden fence posts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone :)

Yet another topic, hope some one can help, have a smallholding so plenty to do.

Have a row of fence posts with livestock fencing, around 50 yards, need to move it. Posts were well bashed in :rolleyes: need to loosen them and get them out. Was thinking best doing this during wet weather. Have a winch, which I use to tighten livestock netting, could utilise that. :confused:

Solutions greatly appreciated - don't have too much muscle power. Do have a strong harness goat :LOL:

Sponsored Links
you will find pulling up on a post is easier than pulling from the side.
wrap a chain around the base, insert a tall bumper jack and jack it out.
Be sure to place new posts deep enough 3ft too prevent posts coming loose over time.

Thank you very much crazycanuck! :D It would seem logical - but not to me when I asked Durrr!! :rolleyes: Very well explained!!! Thank you for the tip on depth - you must know a bit about goats :LOL:

you can loosen the posts by rocking and wiggling them. the longer they are the easier this is. if you can persuade your livestock to scratch themselves on the posts, they will be loose in no time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD. Like most awkward critters the livestock only scratch on the posts you don't want rubbed! Have tethered a couple of billies on the posts for the time being. Will walk the pig along the posts this evening she likes a good scratch! :LOL: Making a start ;) Cheers !

Very sorry JohnD piggy is still uncooperative :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Will post pic on my profile. Noticed you are in Hants are you a Hampshire hog :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back