mpg dropping expensively

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i drive an 07 vauxhall vivaro van for work partially loaded, there are 10 fuel "bars" on the dash and i used to get 70miles plus out of each one but since the 18000 mile service i am struggling to get 60 even when the van is empty on a long motorway drive at steady pace. the tyre pressures are fine so i was wondering if anything else could cause the drop. i am losing 100 miles per tank now would appreciate any ideas, vauxhall carried out the service. thanks

Sponsored Links
with the engine running is the exhaust wet? i personally would go back to garage and ask them why as it is obviously since the "service"

will check next time i use the van, what would a wet exhaust mean? i know zero about engines and the guys at vauxhall have fobbed me off before.

Sponsored Links
Cold weather (I know it's getting warmer now) will adversely affect fuel consumption, especially for a diesel.

Apart from this, you could try giving the engine a good thrashing through the rev range from time to time. Obviously, this uses extra fuel but it can then improve consumption by helping to burn off deposits in engines that are used on short runs, or pootling along motorways at modest engine speeds.

thanks, i will give the van a good blast through this week, i may take it to a local garage and get them to have a look at filters and other things you things you have mentioned. was getting the good mpg on run up to christmas and havent changed filling stations. there is no water coming from my exhaust either. i hope the filter chages you mentioned are not too expensive either. hope its sorted soon

new roof rack or extra loading/drag on the roof !!!!

use of aircon!!!
or to a lesser extent lights on continuously will load the engine up more

Sponsored Links
Back