Mullion joint - are they all like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My current windows are pretty old and on them, I believe, where there was a joint, the joint machine left a lump which was then trimmed by hand and finally polished up. End result is you can't see the join. On new windows it seems like the method now is to press in on the joint. So in the corner of frame you get a depressed slot at the 45deg join. That's not too bad, it's a reasonable finish.

However, where you have say a fixed pane next to a side hung opening pane, you have a vertical mullion. At base of this is a Y joint (and an inverted Y at the top) because 3 pofiles join here. The V part of the Y is a depressed slot as in the corners. But the lower i bit of the Y is proud and looks just to have been milled off to 1mm or something. It's ugly IMO. Why don't they form a depressed Y rather than V? Are all windows like this? Or am just looking at poor fabricators?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
fully_welded.jpg

You mean like this? Its normal, a combination of 'grooved' and ' knifed' welds

Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks for posting a picture. Why isn't it a Y groove? The knifed (proud bit) is ugly IMO.

Might be something to do with the grooving machine set up at the factory, your particular window manufacturer may not of had the right machine and wasn't able to groove all 3, I've seen window where the groover has missed the weld completely and grooved down the side of it or they've had 3 attempts at it, how the frame ever got past QC?

Sponsored Links
Right so it is possible to have a Y groove then. I just have to find a fabricator that does that.

Not sure, the more I think about it the more I think its either knifed or sanded off and polished. We get asked so many questions here about what makes a good window but never had anyone question why welds are as they are, I'd of thought there where more pressing things to worry about when choosing windows lol!

OK, so what should I look for in a good window?

I've come across Liniar and I kinda like the look of their energy plus windows. It seems a good idea to me to have a seal under the window so you split the air space around the base of the window. We already have warm edge spacers for a similar reason. However, other than that all the profiles seem much the same. Are there differences I've not noticed?

All the major brands are pretty similar, I personally prefer Liniar and Eurocell purely on the look of the moldings.
So you cant really go wrong with the make but it really is all in the fitting.
Personally I render and plaster all windows in (no PVC trims if possible) I masking tape all sealant lines so they are nice and neat, I also paint in any caulked sealant too (where weather allows). These things are very rare though, Most company's just slap PVC trims everywhere.

FYI I have found a supplier aka fabricator that does all grooved for 3 way Y joint. That is Garden of Eden in Swindon. They seemed a bit more interested in quality than some.

FYI I have found a supplier aka fabricator that does all grooved for 3 way Y joint. That is Garden of Eden in Swindon. They seemed a bit more interested in quality than some.

To me there a lot of more important things to worry about on a window/door installation than how welds are finished

I've seen it done both ways from the same factory! Bear in mind that this isn't a profile issue , this is a manufacturer issue. I think its something to do with reverse welding but not sure .
In 15 years I've been doing PVC never had a customer complain about welds being grooved or not

In 15 years I've been doing PVC never had a customer complain about welds being grooved or not

So has been said. Myself I find it odd. I mean if I buy a car, yes I check to see the engine runs well, tyres have tread etc. but I also want the paint job to be good. Why is it any different to having found a good energy efficient window profile I then want the finish to be good, which IMO means not having a lump of plastic sticking out where the profiles are welded.

Last edited:
That analogy doesn't really work that well, I mean paint finish; have you seen some of the orange peel paint finishes on new cars nowadays, jeez they don't even paint under the bonnet anymore on some cars but we've deemed that acceptable, my 64plate van has a matt black spare wheel when the rest are silver, I accept it so long as in the grander scheme of things the van or the car does what's its suppose to

I think will have to agree to differ on that then. I wouldn't buy a car with orange peel paint and if it was a new car I'd reject it as not of satisfactory standard. If you accept rubbish then you've only yourself to blame when your sold rubbish. What next? Car goes in for repair and they repaint with brush??

Spare wheel I can't see matters since you're meant to get the faulty wheel repaired, the black reminds you to do that.

I think a window fab company that takes care to make a nice looking window (IMO) is also one that takes care in the rest of the manufacture. It's about pride in their work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back