Mullion joint - are they all like this?

But for the ones that don't fully groove the weld doesn't make them poor fabricators, a knifed weld is a perfectly fine and acceptable process, different fabricators all have different specs and processes and judging by some of the **** I see and policy holders breaking down in tears when explaining the whole episode of the DG company I would bet my mortgage all of them would swap a knifed weld for the rest of the crap they were left with

Sponsored Links
Just FYI I wasn't judging the fabricators just on the fact the did 3 grooved or knifed and grooved. I've visited the fabricators I was considering and based my choice on a combination of factors.

The weld isn't dependent on the profile I've chosen. That was an interesting thread you linked to. No real explanation of the cause though. My old double glazing has rubber lips that come up the window. I guess the advantage of that is it doesn't allow any water to puddle. Disadvantage is that is unsightly and you can see it which is why I suspect all manufacturers these seem to have hidden seals.

As many of the threads pointed out other makers see the same issue but his seems particularly bad. Looking at the picture the mould looks to be below the seal to me. If it had been water on the top I would have expected to see a band of algae at the top then the black line of the seal compressed on the window. The algae is all the way down to the spacer. I wonder if it the drains are blocked.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
20151130_113047.jpg
I've seen window where the groover has missed the weld completely and grooved down the side of it or they've had 3 attempts at it

Here's a job I've been to today and it's rehau, it does make me smile when I see this, the fabricator must of thought sod it be alright and just leaves it, shocking really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back