Multi-way fused switch for kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In my old house we had a plastic unit on the kitchen wall with 4 switches. Within each switch was a 13A fuse (you pull the switch out, and can change the fuse). Each switch was in effect a fused 13A socket that could turn on/off the dishwasher, fridge, washing machine etc. Cables from this box ran through the wall and provided standard sockets for the appliances.
Now - I'm looking for one of these, but can't for the life of me find out what it was called or what to look for!
My ultimate aim is to neatly arrange fused scokets above the worktop, but instead of having 4 separate sockets, would be great to combine this all into a single unit. A bit like a consumer unit, but with standard replacable 13A plug fuses and not the things that go ping in the middle of the night.
Last but not least, should I extend the ring main to take on a dishwasher, fridge and washing machine, or could a single standard 13A spur handle these? The numbers on the back of the units seem to indicate so, but just wondering what 'best practise' is for you seasoned electricians out there.
Hope you can help!

Many thanks,

Tim

Sponsored Links
It was probably a grid switch.

You have to buy all the bits to suit your individual requirements, and put it all together yourself.

You make it up with grid components.

However, it is madness to have a fuse above & one below the 'tops.

Thanks very much for the quick responses. The idea of the setup is so I can turn off the major appliances at will, rather than having to pull them out from under the worktop and flicking the switch or pulling the plug. Even the most modern of appliances seems to eminate some kind of noise, LED light or even musical tone. A luxury I would rather do without!
If all else fails, I will make do and just stick in standard sockets and 13A fused plugs under the worktop and I will accept the audio visual profanities the likes of Hotpoint and Zanussi decide to throw at me.
Nice to have, but not essential...

Sponsored Links
It's perfectly reasonable to have a switch above the worktop.

And a socket of some kind below.

Then you can turn them off without pulling the appliances out. If the appliance needs servicing or replacing, you have to pull it out to unplug it.

However, the ideal number of fuses per appliance is one. So it's better not to have a fuse below the worktop, and another above. There are various ways to achieve this.

To do it with 13A fused plugs, you need a 20A DP switch above the worktop and unswitched sockets below (use single sockets, not doubles).

I've looked around one or two electrical websites - screwfix, rswww, but can't seem to find a 1G grid module that supports both a 13A fuse and a switch? Was I imagining things when I saw the 2 combined?
What would would is a standard 13A fused plug socket under the worktop for each appliance, routed through to a 4-way MK Plus grid system (switch only, no fuses). I may consider this instead, but am sure I've seen a grid unit that does switches and fuses in the same module?

Had a look here

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/PDF/technical/GRID_PLUS_prod.pdf

I suggest you use DP switches feeding single sockets for each appliance.

As others have said no need for fusing at grid switch if you use fusing in plug top.

I recently had an issue with Hotpoint when they delivered a washing machine to my sons I was going to wire machine the old fashioned way to a flex outlet connected to a switched FCU above work top they told me I'd invalidate the warranty if I cut plug off!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back